Chapter 9

"Amber, oh Amber! Wake up!" Devin said, yelling at her ear. Pulling the brown blanket from her bed.

Amber got up from the bed in shock. Her body fidgeted against the wall. Her eyes flowed down with tears. Her teeth chattered together, hoping what she experienced wasn't a nightmare. The chain on her right foot restricted her movement. 

"Hello Amber," Devin said, caressing her hair with his fingers. Her face echoed with sobbing cries. "So, pretty." Devin squatted down and smelled her neck, savoring her scent. "God, you smell so good. I can see why Robert was so fond of you."

Amber gasped at the sight of his mischievous smirk and pulled away. "Why are you doing this?"

Devin stopped back without losing his gaze on her. "You remind me of someone. She was pretty like you. But she had a lot of mouths. Betrayed my trust."Devin punched his hand against the wall above her head. "You wouldn't betray me would you?"

Devin pulled her head back, hearing Amber sobs getting louder. Her lips curled up in disgust. "I want you to meet her."

Devin pulled out his black controller by hand and pressed a button. In the instant, a light shone at the stool of a severed head. It was a brunette woman covered in formaldehyde, rubber, and yellow wax. Her brown eyes, staring straight at Amber. Her mouth closed as if it was a doll.

"Oh, no!" Amber said.

"You see Linda here thought she could disobey me and not suffer the consequences." Devein continued, "But she learned the hard way. Didn't you, Linda." 

Devin picked up her head from the stool and brought it to Amber inches away from her face. "Isn't she pretty? She was a real estate agent. I met Linda in one of the lowest moments in my life. That was right before I got into my projects. I thought I could have a normal life with her. Someone I could one day build a family with! For a moment, I didn't have this need to kill Amber. I was once happy. But Linda ruined everything when she went into my basement. I told her specifically to stay out of the basement! She was insistent to uncover what I was hiding in that basement. I told her, I told her again, I was working on a special project and I wasn't ready to show her my latest work yet until it was done. She didn't listen. So, when Linda went into my basement, she saw my latest masterpiece of a man and woman on my display tables. They were all well preserved. But since Linda saw everything, she had to be dealt with. It was harder on me than on her. You see, Amber, I am an artist. I like to work with my hands. I have done many paintings, sculptures, and mannequins. I like to include the selected view to see my work. Only if you follow my rules. Do you think you can do that? It would be a shame if you didn't follow my rules."

"So, you are the "Mannequin Killer of Redwood?"

Devin smiled. "How astute of you." Devin flashed a grin on his face. He tossed Linda's head to the corner. Devin rubbed Amber's face as it was cream. "I think I will keep you around. I might even let you see your son, Jordan if you behave yourself."

"Jordan, he is here! Please, don't hurt my son," Amber said, pleading to Devin in a subtle tone.

His fingers glided to her check bone like it was clay. "Yeah, I think I will keep you here until you can earn my trust. Trust is a two-way street as they say." Devin whispered in her ear. "I just hope you won't disappoint me. I have to take a road trip to see your ex-husband, Robert. The game is getting very interesting. Soon you and your son will be reunited like a happy family."

"Jordan? He is here? Please, don't hurt him!"

Devin tilted his head observing her.

"I will do anything you won't just don't hurt him," Amber said with sincerity in her eyes. "Please, he is all I got!"