Chapter 12

"Family is everything to a person. Is that right, Detective Maxwell. The moment we spend with our loved ones is what connects us. It's what makes us, how would you say, whole! You can easily tell from their eyes. The way they look upon you. How does it feel that I have the one thing that matters to you most?" Devin asked in a taunting tone. 

"Where is Jordan and Amber? Where are they?" Robert demanded, clenching his teeth, wanting to kill him with his gun.

"You have to play by the rules of the game, detective, in order to find your precious boy and Amber."

"I want my son!" Robert said. "Where is Amber?"

"All you have to do is play another game with me and I will take you to them," Devin said. 

"Don't listen to him. He is trying to play you," Kenny said. "Look, we can book his ass and interrogate him until the cows come home."

"Are you willing to sacrifice your life for your boy? Amber? What's wrong Detective Maxwell? Cat got your tongue?"

"Shut your fucking mouth!" Robert said. "I had enough of your games!"

"You know your wife Amber has beautiful skin and her hair smells like peach-mango. Oh, I have been spending quality time with her in my private room. We had much to talk about."

Robert's hands were poised on the gun. He was tempted to shoot Devin in the back of the head.

"I wonder why she doesn't talk about you much? Was it because you have been banging that blonde hair girl for two years. Rachel was her name. Whatever happened to her?" Devin asked. 

Kenny looked at Robert in a confused stare.

Devin turned his head to Kenny. "Oh, you didn't know. I wouldn't be surprised. With all that pillow talk he does with his mistress on the side. Your friend here has a lot of secrets buried in his closet. Isn't that right, Detective Maxwell?" 

"What the hell are you talking about?" Robert asked. "What do you want from me?"

"This is the problem I have. No one takes the time to reflect on their past actions. They just react. I think it is high time for you to reflect, Detective Maxwell. For what you did twenty-five years ago, for what you did to RJ! I think you are ready for your trials." 

"What trials?" Robert asked. He bit his lip in anger.

"You will face five trials Detective, Maxwell. It will be a test that you will never forget."

"And, if I refuse to participate?"

"If you don't play my game, there will be consequences. Your son Jordan will be the first to die. And then, after I am done with Amber, I will send you the best parts of her. You have my promise on that."

Robert was conflicted with two choices. Either go along with the trial or risk losing Jordan and Amber. His eyebrows arched into a frown. His hands tightened with rage.

"Time is ticking, detective, I suggest you act quickly!" Devin said.

"Don't listen to this asshole!" Kenny said.

"You don't have that much time," Devin said. "It is now or never!"

Robert felt a steel gun pointed at his head." Drop the gun, Robert!" 

Robert raised his hands up. 

"Right on time!" Devin said, smirking under his golden mask.

"Justin!" Kenny said.

Justin Henderson showing up out of nowhere surprised both Robert and Kenny. They were both taken off guard.

Justin kicked Robert's gun away. "I'm sorry, Robert, he has my daughter. I had to follow the rules," Justin said in a distraught voice. "He told me if I didn't help him, she would die. The Mannequin killer wrapped her body in chains on a chair with a C4 bomb strapped to her chest. I have less than an hour to play his game. I know you would do the same thing in my position."