Chapter 16

"It is nice to see you, the real you, Detective. You have the same killer instinct. The ruthlessness that lay buried deep in that cold demeanor, the same bloodlust in your eyes just like twenty-five years ago when your partner got butchered to death. My thought of you never waivered, not one bit. You and I are alike. Two halves of a coin, two killers reborn. That would do anything to live. The irony of it all. Admit it, you enjoyed killing that man just as much as I enjoyed it."

"We are nothing alike!" Robert frowned. "I will find you. I will end you."

"I beg to differ, Detective Maxwell," Devin said. "You can't deny what you are. The only difference is that you are not honest with yourself. Amber doesn't know about your private discretions. You have a lot of blood on your hands."

Robert grew silent. He looked intently at the flat screen monitor of Devin in his golden mask. The lights flashed on and off in the room. "It is time for your second trial, Detective Maxwell." On the right side of the shelf, a timer started. "You have one hour to find the device to deactivate with the key to save Captain Cambell's life. The device is located on the third floor. Somewhere in one of the rooms. All you have to do is follow the clues to find the right room.''The screen image switched to Captain Cambell with the hot yellow wax mixed with rubber, pouring in small streams. Some of the liquid scolded her right shoulder, torso, and arms. Her screams were heard through the monitor. 

"Captain Cambell will pay for her sins and she will make a great mannequin minus the eyes of course. Time is ticking Detective Maxwell I suggest you get a move on," Devin said. "Her life is in your hands."

"This isn't over!" Robert said, eyeing the monitor, moving toward the door. 

The monitor turned off. Robert opened the door. Unbeknownst to him, two other mercenaries were in hot pursuit of him down the hall. He picked up on the footsteps and hid in the shadows. The door leading up to the third floor was six feet from him. Time was imminent. The mercenaries armed with their M16 weapons, checked each corner of the hall.

"He couldn't be far. I know he is here. You check the rooms," one mercenary said. "Keep your eyes open, this guy is no ordinary cop. He definitely has a set of skills to fry our people like that."

"I don't care who it is. I'm gonna kill him," the second mercenary said. "He won't get away this time. "He will suffer for killing Travis! I will skin his ass slowly with my knife one layer at a time starting with his face. Then, the moment he begs for death, I will cut his heart out and put it on a skillet."

"Keep your head in the game. I can't afford you to get clouded by your need for vengeance. I need you here. I need you to hold your shit together. Can you do that?" One mercenary asked.

"Yeah, the second mercenary responded. "I will. I was thinking after we off this guy you and I can go on a trip."

"Like where?"

"I was thinking about Hawaii? There are a lot of women there and I heard the food is good. Plus, it will be rich with that prize money of five million dollars. You can't beat that."

"Hawaii? Can you think of somewhere else?" The first mercenary asked him while tapping his chest and signaling with his fingers.

"Go check the rooms," the one mercenary said.

The second mercenary nodded and left him.

The mercenaries had no idea about Robert's past. They had no idea that he once served in the military before he became a cop. He kept that a secret from others, including Jordan. One person knew the truth and that was Kenny. The same Kenny who helped him manage the trauma of his PTSD.