Chapter 21

The piece of the puzzle revealed. Robert knew this was his one chance. His mind raptured at the thought of Jordan and Amber's suffering. Katie and Kenny paused as their eyes locked. She directed her attention to Robert.

"Are you sure it's him?" Robert asked, looking at Kenny. 

"The person behind all those killings is Devin Green Stevenson. The son of RJ Green. My sources don't lie, Robert. I'm sure of it," Kenny said. 

"I say we find Devin. Do you have his address?"

"Yes, I do," Kenny said. "I have all that covered."

"Okay, then we need a way to get inside his place. Jordan and Amber have to be there," Robert replied. 

"I can make a few phone calls," Katie said, tying her blonde hair into a ponytail. 

"No, we go out on our own. We don't need more police being killed in elaborate death traps," Robert said. "We do this off the books. Are you in?"

"Yeah, I'm all the way in," Kenny said. "How about you, Katie?" 

Kattie nodded her head. "Yeah, count me in." It would be best if we do a full property search on who owns what."

"Sounds like a good plan," Robert. So, Kenny and I will leave tomorrow morning to meet up  with Devin Stevenson," Robert said. "Captain, you can fill us in on the details of the property. Now, we all should get some rest."

Jennifer heard their conversation from the hallway. She leaned back from the wall when Robert approached her. "So, you and Kenny are going out?"

"Yes, that is the plan. I will find Jordan and Amber and I will bring them home," Robert said, looking Jennifer in the eye.

Jennifer paused for a moment.

"Jennifer, is there something you want to say to me?"

"No, just be careful and make sure you bring Jordan and Amber back in one piece," Jennifer said heading up the stairs.

Robert observed Jennifer and he felt there was more she was not telling him. He didn't push the issue. He sighed and collected himself. Robert yawned, stretching out his arm. He checked his watch and it was eleven fifteen.

Kenny tapped Robert on the shoulder. "Looks like this is it, Robert. Are you ready?"

"I was born ready. This was what I meant to do. On that note, I'm off to bed. Have a good night, Kenny."

"You too, Robert. I have a feeling this is our guy."

"I know what you mean," Robert replied. 

Robert walked toward his bedroom on the second floor. The air conditioner was circulating through the air. Robert held his hand to his head, feeling the weight of sluggishness throughout his body in each step he took. He entered a room, closing the door behind him. The room had a brown dresser, a mirror on the wall, and a medium-size lamp. Robert plummeted himself on the bed staring into a grey dull wall. It was silent. 

The stillness of the night resonated with Robert's inner torment. The hollow empty void of darkness surrounded him into a blanket. He sighed, soaking in the sorrows. The helplessness Robert felt was unending for him, knowing that Jordan and Amber were being held captive in a sick twisted game. Robert knew there were more trials he would have to endure to save Jordan and Amber. He reached for the remote to turn on the TV. The first image Robert saw was a female reporter, stating news headlines of more gruesome bodies that were uncovered behind a derelict library in downtown Redwood Park Ave. 

Yellow caution tape was plastered in each corner of the library. It would take time for forensics to determine the identity of the victims without dental records or thorough DNA. Sometimes Robert wonders how many people like Devin walked the street, blending in with the public, how many murders become cold cases go unsolved, and how they get away free and repeat the same offense.