goodbye is too good a word

[ Marinette POV ]

The car was on, the driver was in the front seat, and Luka's things were already in the trunk.

There was only one thing left to do.

And Marinette didn't want to do it.

As soon as Luka turned around, she could see the hurt and pain swimming in his eyes, his small grin expressing anything and everything he has to say.

Marinette couldn't stop the sob that escaped her lips as she ran to him, embracing him into her arms and squeezing him oh so, so tight.

Luka squeezes back just as tightly.

With Adrien, everything happened so quickly, the moments always too short.

But with Luka, time seemed to freeze with just a blink of his icy eyes.

"Here."

His soft breath tickles her ear as she feels his hand slip into hers. She feels something scratch her palm. She does not care to look at it, she simply puts it in her pocket and goes back to hugging him.

She wants to ask if he really has to go, or if he could stay longer, but she knows the answers all to well.

"My funny girl, come here."

Marinette feels as Luka separates her from him. His hands travel from her back to her face, his fingers cupping her cheeks. He leans in close and looks into her eyes.

"Don't be sad, please. You'll see me sooner than you think." He smiles softly.

"I want to see you more now."

Marinette knew she sounded childish but, she couldn't help it.

"I know, don't worry. We'll stay in contact, yeah?"

Marinette slowly nods, her eyes flicker down in a lame attempt to hold back tears. They come rolling down anyway.

Luka holds her tighter, "Baby, don't cry."

But she couldn't stop the tears, a few gasps even escape her throat.

The car honks.

"Marinette, I really have to go now. Mari....hey look at me."

Matientte locks eyes with him, his cool blues working their magic and instantly soothe her. There was a pause, a moment of peace, where it was only them looking at each other.

Marinette looks at him, every line and detail, wanting to engrave it into her memory so she would not forget them with time. She didn't want Luka to be another face in her memory. She wanted him to live there while he was gone. For him to be alive inside her mind. She wanted to be able to still look into his eyes and feel the calm, even if he really wasn't there.

But she doesn't think it's going to be possible.

"Marinette."

The world turns silent. The roar of the engine is gone, the birds, the other cars, the wind, the leaves, gone. Even her heart seems to freeze, the sound of it beating, lost. Only silence.

"I love you Marinette."

And in that moment Marinette can't control herself. She clutches his shoulders and pulls him down into a kiss. She holds his head and presses herself against him, wishing and hoping she could express exactly what she was feeling with her lips.

And she thinks she does, for she feels cool tears tickle her cheeks, and they were not her own.

It was felt like a blissful eternity, and yet it was too short.

The car honks again, and the noise comes rushing back, throwing Marinette into reality one more.

They hug tightly one last time before Luka enters the car.

She can only stare as he looks back at her with a smile, he waves goodbye until the car is out of sight.

"....Luka."

She can't even breath.

How could he be gone so quickly? One second he was here and now he wasn't?

But she had to calm down. This wasn't the end of the world. She was an adult already, and so was Luka. They were going to be fine. She will see him again anyway. She has to.

And in the meantime they can just call or text or, whatever....right.

Her heart drops.

He doesn't have her phone number!

"LUKA NO WAIT." Marinette starts running after the car. The sound of her feet harshly hitting the sidewalk echos in her ears, the sound of her breathing adding to the noise. Her heart pumps a million times a minute.

She didn't even notice how crazy she looked running down the street like a maniac. She didn't care. She couldn't loose him again.

She thinks she sees his car. It stops at a red light, the last red light before he entered the highway.

If she ran fast enough she could make it.

"LUKA!" Marinette shouts.

She is flying, her arms pumping, her feet soaring. She was going to make it! She was going to-

"-OOOF"

Marinette crashes into a hard mass and crumples to the floor. Her head hits hard against the pavement.

Unable to move, and unable to breath, she can only watch as the car leaves her view.

Marinette is numb, she's dizzy, she can't breath, she can't move. And her heart is broken. She really lost him.

"Marinette?"

The mass below her vibrates as he speaks.

She would recognize his voice anywhere.

As her vision blacks out, her eyes meet with the face that belonged to the man she had fallen on top of. She is only able to whisper his name before her world turns black.

"Adrien..."

~~~~~~~~~
This chapter is dedicated to
Crazywolf0316

Thank you for all the support!

If you enjoyed this chapter don't forget to vote!