DA

When I arrive at work the next morning and walk into the office, Tench is on the phone, "you walk him through the crime season? Okay. Has he seen all our notes on the evidence? And? Wait a minute, say that again? Mark, that's not right."

"Is that Ocasek?" Ford turns around from the copy machine.

"Obviously, there's something he doesn't understand." Tench ignores Ford and leans forward a bit. "Okay, look, I'll call you back. Shit, it's not your fault, Mark. Let me talk to some folks here and get back to you."

I chuckle, "well, that didn't sound promising."

"The DA is going after Benjamin first."

"Which means he'll end up offering the other two a plea deal," I scoff and shake my head.

Carr walks up beside me, "did Ocasek tell him about Frank's history of violence?"

"I'm sure he did," Tench nods.

"Clearly, he's the most dangerous of the three."

I shake my head, "I disagree, out of the three, someone like Benjamin is more dangerous, but that's not what matters here. What matters is that one of these men took a young woman's life and she helped them cover it up."

"I know, Nance, but we can't do anything from here," Tench looks over to me.

"We need to go talk to the DA, help him understand."

"I have a deposition this afternoon. I can't do anything until tomorrow," Tench shakes his head.

"Holden and I will go," I put a hand on my hip.

"Are you sure?"

I nod, "someone has to or they're going to get away with this." I head toward the door, calling back to Ford, "coming?"

I can hear Ford's shoes behind me, "if being with Debbie has taught me anything, don't fight with a confident woman."

"You had to wait for Debbie before you learned that."

"I didn't have a lot of experience before her."

Holden and I rush up to Altoona, of course, I am less than thrilled about having to drive back. But lucky for us the DA agrees to see us. "How can I help you fine folks today?" He walks us into his office.

"Sir, Agent Freeman and I are just a bit concerned with the way you and your team plan on bringing up charges against Barnwright and his companions."

"Why is that?"

I take a deep breath, "it is obvious that the anger was triggered by stressors that were focused on Mr. Barnwright's fiance in particular."

"Stressors?"

"It is the terminology our unit has been working with. Think of them as triggers. Things that pushed both their buttons, based on dramatic life events."

"Frank Janderman was happily married with a new baby on the way."

"But Frank didn't want to be a father. He hated it."

"Is that a motive?"

"No, it's also what we would consider to be a stressor."

The DA leans forward, placing his elbows on the desk, "so you think Frank did it?"

"Benjamin wouldn't have been able to do it on his own. He needed help or at least someone to push him over the edge."

"You're saying Benjamin was provoked by Frank?"

"Pushed. Yes," I nod and take a deep breath, "Frank saw his chance and raped Beverly Jean. Now we can talk situationally versus preferential all day, but that won't do us any good."