chapter 6

There is a nip in the air. Chilly  winds haven't let  the giant trees alongside the road rest. They wave at a shivering Aman, who cautiously makes his way through the dark on his new bike—a birthday gift from his parents.  After twenty minutes of travel, muffled sounds of  train whistles and  musical notes on speakers  ensued by mechanical voices announcing departure and arrival time of various trains are heard. A turn and a few meters straight ahead stands Allahabad Junction.

"Ting Ting Ting ." A mechanical announcement that goes, " May I have your attention, please. Kumbh Mela special train, travelling from Nizamuddin railway  station to Allahabad junction, is expected to arrive at platform no. 9 shortly. Thank You. Ting ting ting. Yatrigad kripya dhyan de, Kumbh Mela special train Nizamuddin railway station se chalke Allahabad junction ko jaane waali, Apne nirdharit samay pe  platform no. 9 par Kabhi bhi aa Sakti hain. Dhanyawaad,"   blares from the speakers several times as Kartik's train slows down and eventually comes to a halt. Wearing his backpack, Kartik jumps onto the platform. He is amazed how an empty platform that he saw through the window of his bogey a moment ago is now suddenly teeming  with passengers. He stands still for a second, stretches his arms to their limit; On the center of his studded  t-shirt the words " Butterfly fly Away " shimmer mischievously under the artificial light.

While people from far and wide  are disembarking to carry on their pilgrimage, Kartik ,too, in a way,  is on a personal spiritual journey  that has brought him to the birthplace of someone he has always revered: Amitabh Bacchan. Overwhelmed by the emotions he is feeling, he lies down face front and starts kissing the floor. People who were walking behind him have to suddenly stop and  walk around him. They do so, but not without scowling and addressing him with a few choice words that he either completely ignores or does not hear at all. What he does hear is a song emanating from a certain popcorn shop on the platform.

🎶Ek doosare se, karte Hain pyaar hum.
Ek doosare ke liye bekraar hum.
Ek doosare ke waaste marna pade toh,
Hain tayyar hum.🎶

Kartik gets up and walks dramatically to the popcorn shop, his eyes brimming with tears that are dangerously close to spilling over. It is amazing how quickly he can manipulate his countenance. He looks at a startled shopkeeper for a few seconds before  lunging at him and holding him tight in his arms.
" Kaun baat  hoye  gayi betwaa? Kauno tuhrain chhut gayi Ka?" Says an extremely confused shopkeeper. The crowd dissipates as quickly as it had gathered. Only a few passengers walk here and there.

Aman is briskly walking along the length of a sparsely  crowded platform  No

Aman is briskly walking along the length of a sparsely  crowded platform  No. 1 towards the overbridge that connects all the platforms. On his forehead sweat droplets have started to emerge. Every now and then he turns back to glance at the person in a black coat that is following him. He curses. Why did he not buy a platform ticket? It costs just Rs. 5! Now he may get caught and fined heavily, or even jailed! He hauls the airbag up and hangs it over his right shoulder, making its presence more conspicuous. Unfortunately, this has no effect whatsoever on the speed with which the TT is following him. Aman reaches the staircase to the overbridge and starts climbing hurriedly, but so does the TT. As soon as he reaches the empty overbridge, he breaks into a run, TT close at his heels. He turns to glance at the TT for a moment and —wham!—he crashes into someone.
In the immediate aftermath of the collision, Aman distinctly remembers  four things happening:
1)  He getting a  piercing headache.
2) A huffing and puffing TT running past by him, screaming, " Are you guys ok? I  have to be on this train that's already late. I cannot stop to check on you two. You two seem okay, I guess."
3) Popcorn flying in all directions—which is strange since he hasn't bought any yet.
4) A guy wearing a women's T-shirt  stuck to his shirt(!?), screaming in pain.