seis

it all happened so fast. one minute aaliyah and robyn were chit chatting, - she worked whatever piece of fabric that she tried on - then robyn's phone rang.

it was a brief conversation about how things were going she stepped out of the fitting room area to hear him better. he implied that he'd be out of the city doing business so she'd have to spend even more time with aaliyah.

"how is babygirl by the way?" he asked causing her to pause momentarily. kenya and kidada were nowhere to be found. she turned back towards the fitting room noticing that the one aaliyah was in had been abandoned. she stood inside and notice to it being clean besides the number that hung on one of the hooks.

"good. her rich friends always so obnoxious?" she replied quick on her feet.

"only met them a few times, but pretty sure that's just how they are"

"glad i got it out the mud then" she joked as she shifted through the store than turned not sure where to look exactly.

he laughed for a minute before relieving her to enjoy 'retail therapy'. she huffed in frustration after walking in and out of high in stores.

she shrugged once she walked into foot action and grabbed some new boots and nike cortex. as she was being rung up she hear that laugh and dropped a few hundred and left with her new things.

"aaliyah" she spoke in a rush to gain her attention. the younger girl stopped in her tracks and turned to her slowly with an awkward grin.

"hey you-"

"don't give me that shit. say goodbye to your friends" she gave them a fake smile and turned to walk down the stairs. robyn didn't even check to see if she was behind her, but she knew.

"we just-" she held a hand up silencing her as they exited the mall.

"i was worried" she unlocked her door, "i thought we were getting somewhere"

"i'm sorry" she giggled until she looked over at her. her and her friends thought it would be funny to sneak off to the candy store, but she'd been fallen behind missing robyn when guys approached one of them.

"happy fucking birthday rih" she huffed as she reversed and pulled out of the parking structure.

"it's your birthday?" aaliyah asked beaming. robyn simply nodded thinking of what she was in the mood to eat. she'd grab some food than drop aaliyah off feeling a migraine coming.

"i'm sorry i didn't know-"

"please aaliyah leave it. it's fine." she huffed as they sat at a red light. she crossed her arms across her chest without another word. of course her intentions weren't to cause her to worry, she just wanted some time with her friends. if she'd known it was her birthday maybe she would have ditched them. an idea came to her as they neared another red light.

"i got you something" aaliyah mumbled before digging into her one of her bags and pulled out a box, "happy birthday"

she looked over at the opened box and smiled. a tennis bracelet. it was dainty and covered in diamonds.

"are you sure?" she pulled away once the light turned.

"yes. i have so many" she snapped it over her wrist and put the box it came in in her bags that were in the backseat.

"thank you lee" she smiled at her causing her cheeks to turn a light shade of pink.

"you got any plans to celebrate?" she blurted causing her to shake her head with her eyes on the road, "turn up here. i got a place in mind"

aaliyah and robyn walked along the boardwalk enjoy their pizza slices and nice weather. spring was in the air the sun flowed over them beautiful.

"how old are you now?" she asked once they sat at a table.

"19" she mumbled wiping her mouth once she was finished with her pizza.

"really?" she giggled, "barely older than i am"

"aren't you like 17?" she scoffed jokingly.

"i turned 18 in january. thank you very much" she sassed before tossing out their trash. robyn made a mental note of it. she was legal but barely. she'd be graduating soon - how long would she have to protect her?

"if you're only 19 how can you get drinks at the bar?" aaliyah asked after applying a layer of lipgloss.

"just got those kinds of connections" she shrugged causing aaliyah to squint her eyes at her. it was so damn cute.

"where you from?" she perched her lips still giving her that look. robyn peeped she usually did that whenever she was prying.

"why? what are you gonna do with that information?" she returned her narrow gaze causing aaliyah to chuckle.

"i mean you don't sound like you're from around here" this time she shrugged.

"i'm not" she replied shortly. aaliyah waited not really expecting she'd elaborate, but hoped she did.

"when i look at you" aaliyah cleared her throat, "it's just a big question mark y'know"

"i could say the same thing to you. i can't seem to figure you out kid" she winked afterwords before flashing a toothy grin.

"i'll only give as much as you do" she let her shades fall over her eyes making robyn laugh.

"guess we'll just keep going in circles"

"oh no we won't" she spoke like she was sure of it, "i think i'm starting to crack that shell you have"

"huh you think so?" rih replied as they stood and walked to the ice cream truck that had pulled up.

"oh i know it." she giggled, "you're gonna love me. everybody does"

she handed over a few bills and the little girl handed over their ice cream.

"i'm supposed to be looking after you. keeping an eye out. protection" she reminded between licks to her ice cream.

"don't i know it" aaliyah moves her shades pushed her hair back too, "that doesn't mean we can't be more than that" she pointed between the two.

"what do you mean?" robyn halted her steps feeling butterflies in her stomach all of a sudden.

"y'know we could be friends. best friends actually!" aaliyah gushed nearly dropping her ice cream. at that robyn nodded and for a moment she was disappointed. until she looked up and looked into her warm honey eyes feeling seen. being friends was just fine.

"sounds nice. i don't have too many friends" robyn finished her cone and aaliyah did a little happy dance.

"yes!" she shouted causing the group of birds to fly away. they looked at the flock and burst into a fit of laughter.

they walked side by side having various conversations until the sun began to set. aaliyah sat on the railing letting her legs swing back and forth enjoying the scenery. she understood what aaliyah meant about living in the now. this isn't exactly how she thought her birthday would have gone, but she was grateful. yes she missed her friends, but maybe they could have a bond until it all blows over. robyn stole glances at her until she yawned. they made their way to her wrangler and robyn opened the door for aaliyah.

the drive back to aaliyah's they sang along to the music. aaliyah enjoyed the sound of her laugh fueling the reason she made her do it more. she felt drawn to her, but that was so nice for a change. she was spent from the eventful day not quite ready for it to end.

"i had fun tonight" rih confessed her eyes scanning the side of her face watching the smile appear.

"yeah?" she turned to her reading her hazel more green eyes.

"definitely" for whatever reason they began laughing.

"me too" aaliyah replied cooly and they were rolling again.

"i'll see you soon lee" rih moved the hair that fell over her face behind her ear.

"i look forward to it" she smirked and made her way towards her home.