The New Teacher

————————————————————
Last updated: 07.10.2020
————————————————————

«Tell me and I forget.
Teach me and I remember.
Involve me and I learn.»
~Benjamin Franklin

*

After a long ride, the train finally started to slow down, and the three Hufflepuff girls started to gather all of their luggage. They were tired and hungry, and was really looking forward to eat some dinner in the Great Hall. After a short ride in the horseless coaches, they arrived at Hogwarts and student after student, they entered the Great Hall.

The three girls sat down at the end of the Hufflepuff table. They were soon greated by Ernie Macmillian and Justin Finch-Fletchley. After a short while, a Hufflepuff named Zacharias Smith also joined them. Marina knew he shared a dormitory with Ernie and Justin, and that they were sort of friends, but she had never liked him. He always seemed so selfish and ungrateful.

Ernie and Justin on the other hand, they were nice guys. And they were pretty good friends with Hannah, also the reason why Marina spent a lot of time with them.

"Have you guys heard?" said Ernie while sitting down. "There is a new teacher this year!"

"There is always a new teacher Ernie, in the Defence Against the Dark Arts. After Professor Dumbledore found out that Professor Moody actually was an imposter, he had to get a new one." said Hannah.

"No, look! Hagrid has been replaced." Ernie pointed towards the teachers table, at the spot where Hagrid used to sit. He was right, instead of the massive, hairy man, an elderly witch with short grey hair and a pointed chin sat there.

"So there is two new teachers this year? But where is Hagrid? And who is the new teacher in Defence Against the Dark Arts?" said Marina and started to search around for any sign of Hagrid.

"I think it's that woman, over there, next to Professor Dumbledore" said Hannah and she was right. Next to Professor Dumbledore, sat a woman with short, curly, brown hair. She wore a pink Alice band and a pink cardigan. She sipped her goblet with a smug look on her face, like she was ready to show all the students how a 'real' teacher was supposed to be like.

"I know who that is!" said Susan suddenly. "My aunt works with her at the Ministry. Her name is Dolores Umbridge, and my aunt says she is really arrogant and power-hungry. If she is the new teacher in DADA, I am definitely NOT looking forward to this year." Susan shrudded and looked at Dolores Umbridge with a nasty look.

This was, without doubt, going to be one of the most interesting years at Hogwarts.

The Ceremony went as usual. The first years got sorted into their houses after the Sorting Hat had sung a song, (which was a bit unusual, and made all the students talk among themselves) Dumbledore had held a very short speech, before the tables had filled themselves with delicious food. All the students started to eat. Marina could, however, not shake off one of the sentences the Sorting Hat had sung earlier.

For our Hogwarts is in danger
From external, deadly foes
And we must unite inside her
Or we'll crumble from within

What did it mean by that? That the houses should become friends with one another? Marina looked over to the Gryffindor table, where Harry Potter sat with his friends. He had seemed pretty nice when they had talked on the Hogwarts Express. She wouldn't mind befriending him, or any Gryffindor for that matter.