Partners in Crime

————————————————————
Last updated: 26.12.2022
————————————————————

"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others;
for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness;
and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone."
~ Audrey Hepburn

*

Did he just say Draco Malfoy?

Marina stiffened slightly and turned around as she felt someone sitting next to her. There, sat a certain blonde, silver eyed boy.
He looked back at her and gave her a questioning look.

"What are you looking at?" he whispered. Or at least it seemed like he tried to whisper. It came out more like a hiss.

"Uhm, nothing, I just didn't know you were in this class as well," answered Marina, and smiled at him innocently.

"Well I am, surprise," he said with irony and waved is fingers in the air. Marina snickered slightly at the action.

"Ehem.. Miss Lunin? If you don't want to set Hogwarts record in getting detention after just 10 minutes in my class, I suggest you, pay. Attention."

Snape glared at Marina as she turned her attention at him.

"Sorry, Professor" she said, but Professor Snape just shrugged her off and continued the lesson. Marina could hear Malfoy chuckle quietly next to her. She gave him a quick glare, before looking back at Professor Snape.

He was talking about the upcoming examinations next June, and how he expected everyone to get an "Acceptable" in their O.W.L. Marina wasn't quite sure if she wanted to continue Potions after this year, and attempt N.E.W.T. She enjoyed Potions a lot, but she wasn't sure her skills would be good enough.

As Professor Snape continued to explain about his expectations for this year, Marina suddenly felt a hot breath uncomfortably close to her ear.

"It's a good thing Professor Snape is weeding out the dumb people for Advanced Potions. I wouldn't want to cooperate with someone who doesn't know what they're doing," she heard Malfoy's loud whisper in her ear.

"I suppose this is your last year with Potions, Lunin." Malfoy snickered, and leaned nonchalantly back in his seat. Marina subconsciously noticed how he suddenly called her by her last name, despite him insisting on calling her 'Blind Girl'.

"Oh, excuse me for actually putting work in this class, rather then get my grades for free only because I lick the teachers ass with every chance I get," she hissed back at Malfoy, pointing the stirring spoon at him. He only smirked back at the response.

"Professor Snape likes me because I actually know what I'm doing," he said. Marina wanted to wipe that grin of his face. Maybe she wasn't that smart with Potions, but at least she enjoyed it!

Marina leaned closer to Malfoy, a sly smile suddenly appearing on her face. She planted an elbow on his shoulder and pointed a finger at his mouth.

"Oh yeah? Because I think I can see your tongue slowly turning brown, ass-licker," she said, and chuckled lightly at his surprised expression.

"Miss Lunin, ten points from Hufflepuff! And I suggest you stop flirting with Mr. Malfoy if you don't want to make that twenty." The class simultaneously laughed at Professor Snape's words.

"I'm not flirting sir! Besides, he talked to me first! Shouldn't you at least give him the same punishment? He payed as much attention to the class as I d-" Marina tried to explain herself, but got harshly cut off as Professor Snape took two long strides towards her and pointed a firm finger at her face.

"Detention, miss Lunin. No excuses. Now. Pay. Attention." Snape's slow and firm tone made Marina shrink in her seat. She barely dared to let out a small 'yes sir', before the professor continued his lesson. Beside her, Malfoy sat with the biggest grin on his face, hands behind his head. Marina resisted the urge to flip him off, and tried her best to listen to the lecture.

Professor Snape continued the lesson with explaining what they were gonna do. Marina tried her best to listen, and ignore the boy next to her. However she found it harder and harder to do, as she noticed him occasionally glancing at her. After a little while, she turned to glare at him, hoping he would leave her alone. But instead of a teasing smirk occupying his face, as she expected, he simply looked at her with an unreadable look, and then quickly turned his focus back to professor Snape. Marina just shrugged.

The rest of the hour went by pretty calmly, that was, until Snape assigned the groups-

"You are all to work in pairs for the rest of the year. Take a good look at the one sitting next to you, they will be your partner for the rest of the year, no exceptions."

Marina's eyes widened as her head slowly turned towards Malfoy. Him? She thought as their eyes met, Malfoy showing nothing of his thoughts behind that stoic face. The Sorting Hat's words suddenly echoed through her head.
We must unite...
Fine, she would give it a chance. After all, maybe they could become friends?

Marina opened her mouth to address her new potions partner, when she suddenly got interrupted by said partner, "Professor Snape, sir, we are three on this table?" Malfoy waved an annoyed hand in the air to get Snape's attention.

The professor didn't look up from what he was doing, and nonchalantly said, "that is correct Mr. Malfoy, you will be working in a group of three. And I will be expecting better results, as you have the advantage of two extra hands. Now turn to page 493 and discuss with your partner how you will gather the ingredients for the Wit-Sharpening Potion, that I expect each and one of you to be able to brew perfectly in a month."

"This is unbelievable-" Malfoy said, while annoyingly flipping the pages of his Potion Making book. "How am I supposed to take care of two dimwitted students? No offence Nott." Nott just shrugged, and laid his head on the table, seemingly intent on not paying any more attention to the class.

Marina sighed lightly, and turned the pages of her book.

"Oh give it a break Malfoy. I might not have top grades in this class, but contrary to popular beliefs, I actually quite enjoy potions." Marina smiled at him brightly. She was not about to let his sour remarks get to her. "Besides, I think, with your help, I could actually do pretty well. So I am looking forward to this partnership, Draco Malfoy." Marina held out her hand for Malfoy to take. It took a while of him just looking at her before he took it with hesitation.

"What is wrong with you exactly?" Malfoy suddenly said, while still shaking Marina's hand. Marina just looked at him confused. "What do you mean? I am perfectly normal."

"No, I mean.. what is wrong with you? Like why do you act this way?" Malfoy studied her with his gaze, looking all over her face for an explanation.

"What do you mean, act what way?" said Marina, confusion shining in her face.

Malfoy let go of her hand and started gesticulating vividly in the air, as if to try and find the right words to explain his thoughts. "Like... this! Why are you acting so... smiley and encouragingly?" Malfoy said, an unreadable look on his face.

Marina just laughed. "You mean happy and positive? You forget my house, Mr. Malfoy. I am a Hufflepuff after all. It is our job to stay happy and positive. No matter how many sour comments we get from you sour Slytherins," Marina playfully shoved his shoulder, and winked.

Malfoy just crossed his arms and leaned back in his seat. "I'm not sour," he said, a frown upon his face. Marina laughed once again. "Sure you're not," she said sarcastically.

Marina then leaned closer to Malfoy, placing an elbow on his shoulder while finding the correct page for the Wit-Sharpening Potion. "So what do you say Sour Boy? Partners in Crime?" She looked expectantly at him. Malfoy sighed, and met her gaze.

"Fine Blind Girl. Partners in Crime."