Chapter 22

No one dared say another word about the Northside Princess dating a girl from the Southside. Toni's outburst in the cafeteria earlier that week was enough to deter anyone who dared try. It did something unexpected; however, it somehow helped mend the rift in the school.

"I'm thinking of dying my hair," Toni said as she walked through the halls with Cheryl. It was Thursday, and classes were out for the day. The weekend was just around the bend.

Cheryl smirked, "I've always imagined you with pink hair."

"Pink?" Toni quirked an eyebrow. "But my favorite color is purple."

"I mean," the redhead paused, "you'd look good with any color, TT."

Toni thought for a moment, "I'm getting pink."

Cheryl smiled to herself, biting down on her bottom lip. "Do you want to go to the salon after school?"

"Nah, the drugstore is fine. You can dye it."

"Are you sure?" Cheryl asked.

"Yeah, I trust you."

They walked past Heather who was leaning up against the wall, seething. She hated seeing the two girls so happy. She hated seeing Toni happy with anyone who wasn't her.

"You don't want to dye your hair, Toni," the girl interjected into their conversation. "You look too good with the blonde."

"No one asked you," Toni scoffed.

"Come along, TT," Cheryl said with a roll of her eyes, not even wanting to engage with the other girl. "I feel our presence would be better elsewhere."

"Couldn't agree more, Cher."

They broke apart as they reached their lockers. Jughead was approaching her, wanting to talk about plans for the evening. They originally were going to smoke and have a bonfire, but Cheryl had just texted to cancel.

"Come on, Cher," he whined. "Can't we have one night without you bailing on me for your girlfriend?"

She glared at him, mentally pleading for him to keep his voice down so Toni wouldn't hear. "We are simply postponing our plans until this weekend, Jug. Toni is excited to hang out with you and the boys as well. We have more pressing matters to attend to this evening."

"Like what?"

"You will find out tomorrow," she deflected.

"Jughead?" Archie said, alerting the pair to his presence. "Can we talk for a minute?"

"What the hell do you want, Archie?" Jughead huffed.

"I want my best friend back," the redheaded boy said.

Cheryl stood there awkwardly as the boys continued to talk. "Should I leave?"

"No," Jughead said before turning back to Archie. "Look, that friendship is dead. How much thought have you even given me in the last three years?"

"Three years is too long, Jug. Can't we work this out?" Archie asked. "I miss you."

"Ya know, I really don't think we can," the beanie wearing boy responded.

Cheryl moved from next to the boys to stand next to Toni, still listening to their conversation, not sure what else to do. She knew Jughead would be upset if she left.

"Are you really going to let a girl come between us?" Archie pleaded.

Jughead shook his head angrily, "You let a girl come between us when you went out with Betty!"