CHAPTER ONE: Insurance

"Look at it!" Eri wailed, snot drizzling down from her nose as she pointed her finger. "I..I..It got all squashed!" 

Both myself and the scruffy man next to me sighed loudly, our movements mirrored as we each swept a hand through our unruly hair. 
"Storm did a number on it alright…" Aizawa muttered, walking forward to try and see if the little girl's cubby house could be salvaged. There was no way. Each plank of timber had been snapped and splintered beyond repair. 

"If someone had actually listened and cut down that damn tree five months ago, this wouldn't have happened…" I grouched, picking my little sister up and feeling her wipe her gunky nose on my chest. "Thanks, kid…" Aizawa nodded in agreement, nudging a detached branch with his boot. 
"Yeah, well, what did you expect from that Nishiya? Tree-hugging son of a…" His eyes flickered to Eri as he trailed off. 

"I..it isn't fair...Your studio got all messed up too…" The child whimpered, resting her head on my shoulder. "All your paintings got squashed...Why did that storm knock so many trees over?" Chuckling, I set her down beside me, ruffling her platinum hair. 
"Eh, it's nature. Plus, I can always paint more pictures. What's important now is getting all this mess sorted." 

I'm gonna get my ass beat by my client for missing the deadline though… 

"So, rock paper scissors on who gets to go deal with Mr. Tree Lover and get his insurance info?" I glanced over to my dad, and he just deadpanned, answering my question with a strong silence. "Ugh, fine…" Leaving them to keep looking at the wreck, I wandered up the bank of the lake and across the lawn, wading my way through thick, unkempt bushes so I could face off with the neighbour. 

Nishiya Shinji was young for a home owner, but that didn't make him mature. At twenty seven, he acted the part, being serious and diligent, but that only came to his work. His work as an environmental lawyer. We often had issues with him regarding low-hanging branches and vines reaching their way over to our property. 

"Son of a fucking bitch ass fucker..!" Strained curses met my ears as I shimmied my way through a thicket, my eyes landing on the man in question. He was trying to strangle a chainsaw. Yes, strangle a chainsaw. He had the pull cord crapped around the motor, pulling tightly as he verbally abused the machine.

"Ahem…" When I cleared my throat to make my presence known, Nishiya froze, slowly turning to me and lowering his victim. 
"Oh...uh...Shinso…" He nodded to me cautiously, narrowing his eyes. "Some storm last night, huh..?" 

Yep. Good. Let's pretend you didn't run over my cat last summer. 

"Yeah, it was a killer. Your big-ass tree came down and crushed my sister's cubby." I explained casually, shoving my hands into my pockets so I wouldn't fidget. Aizawa was always onto me about that. I could tell he was already aware of it, and he bit his lip, lowering the chainsaw further so it sat upon the trunk he was trying to cut up. 

Not once had I ever expected to see him holding one. Even knowing he owned one at all came as a shock. 
"My insurance guy is gonna hate me…" I groaned, glancing over to his right. Following his gaze, I outwardly cringed, understanding what he meant. His car was completely totalled, cracked and dented beneath yet another large tree. Absolute write off. 

"Shit, man…" I exhaled as I pulled one of my hands free, rubbing the back of my head. "Sorry to see that…" Things were awkward. I obviously didn't want to be there, and he obviously didn't want to talk to me. I'd never been good at confrontation. "Look, I-" 

"Shinji, your insurance guy is gonna hate your guts, cuz the solar panels got cr-" My head whipped up when I heard a slightly familiar voice as it trailed off, and my eyes met with bright (E/C). "-acked...Shinso, right?"