CHAPTER SIX: Unbelievable

"We're sorry..."

I had never been a violent guy. Sure, I'd been involved in fights before, that's what happened when you were the weird, quiet kid, but I had never hit back. Slowly, fists clenched by my sides, I turned to face the quivering drunkards, having to walk through the final, bloody mark Kaminari had left in this world.

"You're sorry, are you..?" My voice was dark and deep, so low that I wasn't even sure they had heard it. Once I was close enough, I couldn't stop myself. I swung my fist back and clocked Setsuno right in the mouth. Midoriya was on me in an instant, holding me back from delivering the same attack on Iguchi, who was petrified beside his blond buddy, who clutched his now bloody mouth.

"Shinso, it isn't worth it! W..we can't turn on each other..." My friend said to me, making sure I wasn't going to lunge back in before releasing his hold. "We need to tell the others..." I knew he was right, but I still felt the overwhelming urge to rip the pair of assholes to shreds. If they had just thought about someone other than themselves, Kaminari could have made it.

Meeting Iguchi's eyes, I curled my lip back, hesitantly following Midoriya towards the door.
"You're a coward...Both of you...Fucking cowards..." I was positive the only thing keeping me from collapsing in a sobbing heap was adrenaline. Blood soaked my shirt, and it was still warm. Proof it hadn't been a nightmare.

The four of us reentered the main area of the shop, but stayed close to the door, trying to figure out how to go about announcing what had happened.
"I think we should talk to the staff first..." Midoriya started, ringing his apron in his hands. "They're likely to panic less...I mean, they'll freak out, but we know some of the locals jump to extremes..." He had a point, and I nodded, trying not to look at Setsuno and Iguchi as they did the same.

"Y..yeah...Probably the best bet..." I had more to say, I was sure of it, but I didn't get a chance to continue. My mouth went dry as (Y/N) raced over, eyes widening when she saw the red of my shirt.
"What happened?! Hitoshi, are you okay?!" Her hands hovered over my chest for a few moments, then she noticed a split-lipped Setsuno standing beside me. "Shit, man! Seriously, what happened?! Did you two get in a fight?!"

I don't want to scare her...

Midoriya hushed her, looking around to make sure nobody was paying attention, before attempting to explain.
"There's...something in the mist. Kirishima was right. Kaminari...he tried to get to the switch box outside...and something got him..." (Y/N) stiffened, returning her gaze to my bloodied clothing. "We tried...Shinso and I tried to save him, but..."

I wanted nothing more than to reassure the girl. To tell her that everything was going to be fine, but I couldn't. My jaw was locked, and my chest ached. We weren't fine and everything was definitely not okay.
"B..but if that's true...and I totally don't think you'd lie about something like that...then we have to stop Shinji! He's trying to gather a party to get help!"

(Y/N) didn't even wait for us to respond before she spun on her heels and raced off, barely ducking into one of the aisles before she came back, dragging her brother along with her. Others followed curiously, each and every one gasping when they saw the state of us. Of me.

"You're just antsy because of the mist! You've never liked it, ever since we were kids! Don't go buying into conspiracies!" Nishiya pulled his arm away before glaring at us, particularly me, clicking his tongue so hard it sounded like an axe to wood. "They obviously got into a fight."

I wish...I wish that we had...

"There's something out there." I started, taking a single step forward and narrowing my eyes. "Some weird tentacle things dragged Denki outside. They had teeth! This is his blood! If anyone goes out there it's a death sentence!" My voice shook, and it only seemed to get worse once I realised he was looking at me like I had lost my damn mind. Anxiety began to kick in.