Alternate Ending (Marco End)

As Jean crossed the road, there was a loud crash and his body flew four feet away from where he was and collided with a car. Traffic formed and people gathered, peering over on the accident that just happened and the guy who hit him brought Jean to the hospital.

Bertholdt and Reiner were there when the accident happened and they immediately contacted Marco and told him what just happened to Jean. After the call they asked around for the location of the hospital that Jean was taken to.

Marco on the other end went pale when he heard what happened. He immediately grabbed his coat and rushed to meet Reiner and Bert. He ran fast, his breath now becoming uneven, his chest and joints are starting to ache. And he finally spotted Reiner and Bertholdt.

"What hospital did they take him? Please tell me." He spoke while panting heavily and tears swelling out of his eyes.

"Hop in. We will take you there. The hospital isn't that far anyway." Reiner said, opening a car door for Marco.

"Don't worry, Marco. Jean will be fine." Bertholdt placed his hand on Marco's shoulder and reassured him.

"Let's not waste some time. We need to go now." Says Reiner as he stepped on the gas pedal and drove away.

When they arrived in the hospital, Marco immediately got off the car and sped to the information desk.

Marco asked the nurse at the counter. "Is there anyone with the name Jean Kirshtein who just got admitted today? He was hit by a speeding car."

"Yes, sir there is. He is now in room 4649. Who might you be?" the nurse asked.

"I am........... his............ close friend, Marco Boldt." his voice wavered for a bit. He found himself unable to look the nurse in the eye.

The nurse gestured at the approaching Reiner and Bertholdt. "Are they your companions?"

"Uhh.... yes they are."

"Alright. Please sign here in the visitors logbook and you may head to room 4649." said the nurse as she passed a blue logbook.

Bertholdt caught sight of Marco getting uneasy. "Can you sign for all of us Reiner?"

"Sure. You two head there first. I will follow you right after I fill this one up." Reiner said as he took a pen and started to write their names down.

Marco and Bertholdt rushed to the room and when they got there, they saw Jean wrapped in bandages, his right leg was elevated and there were tubes and wires around him.

Tears ran down Marco's tears as he saw Jean in that condition. He did not mean for this to happen. He did not want this to happen. He just wanted Jean to reflect on what he has done. He dropped to the floor and sobbed. Bertholdt hugged him tight as if preventing him to completely crumble into pieces. Reiner came into the room a few minutes later and as he was about to say something Bert held up his hand and signaled him to be silent.

Marco cried himself to sleep in Bert's arms. Reiner lifted him up and laid him down at the sofa.

"There's a change of clothes for you in my bag." He gestured to Bertholdt. " You need to change your shirt. It has gotten so wet from Marco's tears."

"I'll change later." Bertholdt replied.

"Take a look at this bastard. Sleeping so peacefully without even knowing that he is hurting someone who loves him so much." Reiner said, crossing his arms while looking down on the injured Jean.

Bertholdt placed a blanket over Marco and replied."I think both of them are in pain."

"Maybe. But has this guy ever thought that if gets injured Marco will be so worried about him?" He said pointing at Jean. "Has he thought that if anything happens to him he will be hurting Marco more?"

Bertholdt walked closer to Reiner. "Probably the pain of losing both Armin and Marco was too much for him that he lost his reason."

"It was his fault in the first place, he cheated. And what's worse it was someone we know and he even lied to Armin. Saying that he and Marco were over already. His stupidity went overboard."

"Let's just help them get over this. Eren and Mikasa are already helping Armin get over this mess."

Reiner hugged Bertholdt from behind. "I understand. Let's do what we can for our friends."

Marco woke up a few hours later and Reiner and Bertholdt just went back into the room bringing some food that they bought outside for the three of them.

"You didn't need to buy one for me." Marco said.

"It's the least we can do for you." Bertholdt said while handing him his share.

"Well, aside from being physically here to be your pillars of strength." Reiner interjected.

"Thanks guys. You really helped me a lot on this one." Marco said as he held the food container.

"No need to thank us. We are your friends and we will always be here for you." Bertholdt beamed.

After eating their food, Marco told them that he will be heading back home tonight to get some clothes for him and for Jean when he wakes up. Reiner and Bert consented and volunteered to stay with Jean for that night. Marco thanked them and went back home.

As he reached his dorm, he immediately packed some clothes and prepared other things that he will be bringing at the hospital. While doing so, he stared at the room and remembered all the happy memories that he and Jean made here. But now it was dark and silent, lifeless and the room felt a little sad without Jean there. He remembered that time when Jean comes back home with a beaming smile, bringing with him Marco's favorite dish or his favorite dessert. He remembered that time when Jean would always kiss his forehead when he felt stressed or sad or just kissing him out of nowhere.

After thinking deeply, he finally decided that he will forgive Jean and give him one last chance to change. Maybe this time he will be true to his promises. Somewhere deep inside him, he knew that Jean is capable of changing for the better.

The next day, he went back to the hospital to exchange turns and Reiner and Bert now went home. Marco sat there and  stared at Jean's face, occasionally brushing out any stray hairs out of Jean's face. Days have past and Jean still slept and his condition is slowly getting better. Marco did not falter, he stayed by Jean's side, holding his hand between his palms and pressing them to his lips, kissing them from time to time. 

Jean finally wakes up, and found himself inside the hospital with medical contraptions attached to him. On his left he saw Marco, he felt really happy seeing Marco sleeping right beside his hospital bed. Jean was so happy to the point that he was already crying tears of joy. He gently touched Marco's hair and brushed stray hair away from Marco's face.

This time Jean thought to himself that this time he will not let go of Marco, he will treasure him more than what he did before, he will be more considerate, more faithful and more loyal. He will show Marco that he will change for him and this time for the better. He will make sure to shout his loyalty to Marco louder and clearer this time. This time for sure. 

Marco wakes up from his touch, and the smile that flashed across his face made Jean really happy. 

Marco grabbed Jean's hand with tears running down and placed it on his cheek. "Finally, after so many days. You finally opened your eyes."

"I can't believe you're here. After all the mess that I caused and all the pain that I made you feel." Jean smiled. " You have no idea how happy you just made me feel by being here with me right now. I'm so sorry for all that I have done to hurt you. All the stupid things I did. I already reflected and repented for all my sins. I'm sorry."

Marco hugged Jean. "I forgive you. We have been together for so many years. Deep inside I knew that you would be able to change. Even with all those painful things, I believed in you, I still trusted you because I love you." 

Jean cupped Marco's face and kissed him passionately. "I love you too, Marco. I won't let go of you until the end of time. I...."

This time, Marco kissed him hard shutting him up. He then whispered in Jean's ear. "Stop talking and just prove yourself to me."

-END-