13 Dumb

Part 13 

RM

Arnav was standing in front of his late parent's Photograph which was hanging on the wall with Grantland. Aman and NK's sentences were echoing in his head.

"Why not you reconsidered your decision?"

"I'm sure Rohan will definitely give you heed"

He gritted his teeth. He couldn't even make his friends understand who was with him from his childhood.

Khushi's painful words tore his heart.

"He won't confess his love and I won't stop loving him. You can't change it. Just leave it guys."

He knew how distressed she was when she uttered it.

He looked at his father's pic and went back to the day when his father and his mother met with an accident and got admitted to the hospital.

Flashback

Fourteen years old Arnav was crying, standing out of the ICU in the fear of losing his parents. A nurse came and asked.

Nurse: Who is Chotte?

Arnav: It's me...

Nurse: Your father is calling you.

Arnav went inside the ICU. He couldn't hold himself, seeing his father being wrapped with Band-Aid and connected with many tubes. Arvind extended his hand towards Arnav and he held his hands crying.

Arnav: Dad...

Arvind (in gauzy tone): Don't cry Chotte...

His breath was not gradual. He felt hard to talk.

Arvind: I want you to do me a favor.

Arnav(nodding yes): Anything Dad.

Arvind: You know I want you to become a doctor and you know why.

Arnav nodded yes. Arvind's mother died in Kidney failure. Arvind couldn't spend money to save his mother as he was a middle family man at that time. He wanted his son to serve for the poor like his mother. He started injecting the "doctor goal" in his blood. And he succeeded too. As he was in the death-bed, he wanted a strong assurance from Arnav before his death.

Arnav: I know Dad.

Arvind: I won't be with you to see you as a Doctor.

Arnav: Don't say like that Dad.

Arvind: Promise me, you will be stern in your AIM. You should not get distracted by anything or anyone. You may cross many diversions in your life. But you shouldn't give heed to anything until you FINISH your medicine. Because becoming a doctor is not an easy task. It needs hard work and concentration. I directly ask you. Promise me you won't fall in love with anything other than your studies.

Arnav: I promise, Dad... I won't get distracted... I won't love anyone and anything until my last day of medicine. I swear on you.

Arvind: This must be a secret between us two. I don't want people to say you have achieved because you promised.

Arnav nodded yes. Arvind touched his head smilingly. In a few hours, Arvind passed away.

Flashback ends

Arnav opened his eyes getting out from the flashback.

Arnav (looking at Arvind's pic): Why Dad? Didn't you trust me? Didn't you know I will complete my medicine successfully? Why did you take my promise? Don't you know there are many important things in the world which makes us happy? You didn't want me to get distracted. But now...I'm distracted Dad... I'm badly distracted by Khushi because you asked me not to get distracted. I'm distracted because I'm scared of losing her. You know how good girl she is? She will definitely help me to be successful in my life Dad because she is also a doctor who left her dreams for me. I can't see her suffering and I can't say the truth to anyone because you have tied my tongue. I hate myself for being helpless, Dad. I'm helpless.... You wanted me not to fall in love. But I did... I love Khushi very much. Still, I'm studying well. And I'm sure I would have studied better if I had confessed my love to Khushi. How could I restrict myself if she is so good, Dad? I want to tell her that I also love her but I couldn't.....