Chapter 4

Sleeping Beauty

The ride to the village had been magnificent. Oh, how could Millie have never heard about the outside world before?

After she had read the letter twice, and her salty tears finally started to dry up on her cheeks, she had looked out of the small window of the carriage again.

Her honey eyes almost popping out when she slowly caught the world that appeared from behind the trees as they drove further and further. Small houses she had never seen before appeared behind the brown trunks of the high trees that had always kept her from seeing this.

She had seen other people, working in their gardens or riding on their own horses as they passed by the carriage.

Charlie Heaton had explained her a bit about Wolfhards. Their family tradition of hosting balls, about the famous family name they had, and the way they lived.

Millie had listened, oh she had heard what the blond man had told her. But her eyes were way busier with seeing everything that passed by.

As they started to reach the village more and more, she felt how the ground underneath them changed. From the muddy, soft road, they suddenly arrived on the grey, paved ways.

Driving along houses, streets, squares. Places where people where talking, where children where playing and where the merchant was yelling to sell his stuff.

And after they drove through the city centre, they arrived in the richer neighborhood. Where the most prestigious, giant villa's where. All decorated with greek, ancient columns, with plants and flowers that made it look more luxe.

But it was when Charlie pointed in front of them, Millie following his finger with her eyes, when the brunette felt how her lungs stopped breathing for a second.

The carriage stopping in front, while Millie felt how her body automatically moved towards the small window of the vehicle. Her head going out, before Charlie opened the door and she almost tripped since she could only stare at the thing in front of her.

This giant mansion. Well, giant was even an understatement.

The beige building was surrounded by beautiful stairs, that all lead to different floors of the garden. The decorations and columns made the mansion look even more outstanding than it already was, and the perfectly modeled plants magnified that.

The pond in front of it, located on the lowest floor of the garden, made it look like a real fairytale. A golden sculpture in the middle of it, representing the wealth of Eric Wolfhard perfectly.

Maybe minutes passed, minutes in which Millie could only stare. Her eyes looking from the right to the left, catching how orange sun stripes where lighting up the mansion. Reflecting on the high mirrors, and making it look like she was about to enter heaven.

Men in black suits where welcoming the other guests which arrived as well in carriages. Mostly woman, wearing the most outstanding dresses. All in different colors, their heels clicking on the red carpet as they started to walk towards the entrance.

It was Charlie who made Millie snap back to reality as he placed his hand on her back, making the brunette flick over her gaze and catching how the young man gestured at the mansion with his head.

"Let's go, Miss Brown. Mr. Woflhard is expecting us and the other guests inside."

The blond haired said, starting to move slowly while Millie followed him. Her feet trying to walk forwards, but having difficulty with the heels she was wearing, since she wasn't used to it.