C H A P T E R # 0 3

Third Person's P

Third Person's P. O. V

Sad. Sounds so childish, like something filmsy, something one should be able to cast off with a happy reflection. But sad is nothing of the sort. It sit inside like germ seed of depression, just waiting for the right condition to grow, to send out roots to choke the hope out of your heart.

It is the trough in which we struggle to return to the peek, always afraid that this time the rungs would be too slippery, too far apart or simply not there at all.

Since many years, this germ seed of sadness which led to the tree of depression kept growing inside varun, making him lock down every relation, every feeling in both his mind and heart.

And seeing her after many years, in the situation where she is about to marry sidharth, made him wanna cut these roots and end himself for good. But too bad, he has to see it all. He has no command over his thoughts and feelings which he buried a long time ago.

Brushing off all the thoughts and placing them at the back of his mind, like he always do, he got ready for the day. Tonight, they were invited at shraddha's house for dinner.

For a single second he thought of skipping this dinner because he can't face those eyes again but then reminded himself that he needs to act cool. He just have to attend this stupid wedding quietly and then get away with it quickly.

The night came, and the preparations of the dinner were going with a flow at Shraddha's house. They all were going to have dinner together after six years and Mr.Kapoor wanted to make it one memorable night.

"Ma, don't you think you are preparing too much." shraddha said as she sat on the kitchen counter.

"Your dad want it to be like this." her mother replied.

"Dad and his traditions!" she rolled her eyes.

"Shraddha, these are for salad!" her mother scolded her as shraddha took a piece of cucumber in her mouth.

"Anyways, go get ready. They'll be here any minute." her mother told her.

She muttered some words to herself before making her way to her room in order to get ready. Sitting in front of the mirror, she admired herself for the last time before making her way downstairs where the dhawans and Malhotra had already arrived.

"Hey, shraddz! You're looking great." Sidharth got up from his position and went towards shraddha to hug her.

She immediately felt uncomfortable as sidharth hugged her in front of varun. From the corner of her eyes, she saw varun to find any hint of jealousy on his face but he was looking unbothered.

"Come on, let's have dinner everyone!" Shraddha's father announced and they all made their way to dining area.

The dinner was full of laughters,old days talks and  childhood of their kids which made it difficult for shraddha and varun to stay normal. They however, completed the dinner and the old ones sat in the backyard, enjoying the coffee while the youngsters made their way to the roof.

"Do you remember when-" Sidharth kept on blabbering about every stupid thing the trio did as children.

But the awful silence between varun and Shraddha was making Sidharth's talk all senseless. She would minute by minute stole glances at him but he seemed like a new kid who had just joined a new group and is scared to even say or look at anything.

"Shooting Star!" Sidharth exclaimed and Shraddha's eyes immediately looked up to the sky.

She closed her eyes and so did sidharth to make a wish. Varun looked at them both, curiously. As they both opened their eyes, varun moved his gaze away from them.

"Varun, you didn't wish for anything?" sidharth asked.

"Why would I? This is all stupid!" this was the first time he spoke in the whole night.

"Stupid? You were the one who told us about this. You never missed a shooting star." Sidharth said.

"I was a kid back then. Now, I'm grown up. And I don't think all your wishes ever come true." he said with a blank face.

"And on a side note, I don't need to wish for anything. I've got everything I need in my life." he said before he looked at shraddha for a split second and then made his way downstairs as sidharth followed him behind.

His statement made shraddha feel like someone had just ripped her heart out. Her eyes shifted to the sky again and became glazed with a glassy layer of tears. As she blinked, they dripped from her eyelids and slid down her cheeks.

She bit her lip tightly in attempt to hide any sound that wanted to escape from her mouth. Her lower lip quivered as words slowly made their way out of her mouth.

"You're breaking me again."

° ° °