Chapter # 7

...I may not be your first love, but I hope I will be your last...

Lawrence POV:-

Here, we bound her poor soul with me and they are taking it lightly, over-confident as if we will work. How can they be collected about it when I am burning from inside?

I know Evelyn doesn't have a lover but what if she likes someone else? What if she doesn't accept me?

Anything could happen but despite all this, she agreed for this marriage. I am deeply grateful for her.

"Okay, here goes nothing." I sighed.

My heart began to beat so fast. Maybe I shouldn't go.

I gulped and took a deep breath and opened the door and went inside. I walked closer, my body felt frozen with strange sensations.

I looked at Evelyn, the moonlight was falling on her face enhancing her features more. She gave me a scared look and turned her gaze away from me.

"Evelyn..."

I should have known. Was she always scared of me?

I walked towards her and leaned on the other side of the window. She didn't dare to lift her gaze. I thought of saying something to comfort her,

"Beautiful, isn't it?" I said, referring to the full moon with a faint smile.

"Huh?" She blinked, tensed.

"The moon, bewitching, don't you think?" He asked softly, turning to the Moon and back to her.

She smiled a little and said in a soft tone, "Yeah..."

"Evelyn, listen." Inhaled deeply, I looked at her earnestly, speaking honestly with a low soft tone,

"You truly are a selfless girl. I am glad to have you as my wife and I promise you that I'll try my best to be a good husband." I paused to see her reaction.

"To never let your smiles falter, I won't force you into anything, even if you want to leave me, I won't stop you, you have the right to live your life. I will support you in every way I can."

I smiled, meaning my every word and took a step closer but not close enough to startle her. Evelyn kept looking at me in daze.

"It's okay, you can tell me anything. I am here for you." I whispered, smiling faintly.

Maybe she was lost in her thoughts. I slowly put my hand on her shoulder and shook her slightly "Evelyn."

I called, dragging her out from her thoughts. She snapped from her thoughts as she pushed me away;

"Please don't, Lawrence, please!" She said in a croaked voice as if she could cry anytime.

I wanted to slap myself for making her cry or scared. I wonder since when she is so frightened of me but I have to erase this fear.

It.. Hurt me.

"Hey, It's Alright. I would never touch you without your consent. You don't have to worry. I am sorry. I won't do it again."

She looked down in embarrassment because she knew she was the one who was lost in thoughts.

"No, It's alright. I am sorry too." she said in embarrassment.

"I.. just couldn't think anymore.. Sorry.. My mind is present elsewhere." She mumbled, looking away, nibbling her bottom lips.

I gave her a wide smile, reassuring her, "It's fine. I can understand, you must be."