Chapter 1 - Spectral Sword

Y/N was hiding from Death. 

A skeleton, hooded, shrouded in dark blue and grey robes, with a delicate looking but menacing silver scythe in his fleshless hands. The curved blade was huge and sharp, glimmering in the play of shadow and candlelight. 

Y/N's bones shivered with fear.

She backed up, moving deeper into the small alcove. Her back hit something. A small cry leapt out as something began to fall over. She hopped to the side. Narrowly avoided being struck. Heat brushed against her shoulder, stinging slightly. The candelabra crashed to the ground loudly. Its fall echoed even more loudly.

Y/N winced. Why were there so many candelabras in this forsaken place? 

Death's eyeless head swiveled towards the sound. Y/N was trapped against a wall in the narrow, shadowy alcove. There was no where to go. Curls of smoke rose darkly from the besmirched candelabra, the snuffed out flames. Y/N curled as tight as she could into herself, shaking in the cold, hard corner as Death drew near. 

Should she plead? Should she remain silent? Y/N did not know what to do. She had wound up here with only a dagger and it was currently embedded in a zombie. Even fighting that had been hard. What was she supposed to do against Death itself?

Maybe I can convince him not to kill me. Even being a slave for Dracula wouldn't be as bad as dying like a cornered rat, she thought desperately, sadly. 

But she couldn't bring herself to speak. She was too scared, too cold, too tightly packed into this corner that felt like it was shrinking around her.

Guess that's it then, she thought bitterly. Guess this is the end of my pathetic life. I never did do anything meaningful. If only I had been a special person, maybe none of this would have happened.

Something flashed through the air. Something silver. It looked like it summoned itself into life. A single blade, ghost-like in the smokey darkness. It cut into Death. He spun and whirled away from her, slapping the scythe towards the blade. 

The blade was in a hand. An elegant hand. And whoever was holding it was fast. Dodging, swiping, cape billowing gorgeously around a fit figure. A cascade of white-gold hair. Y/N uncurled slowly, pushing away from the tight corner. Suddenly she felt like she could breathe again. S he moved towards the entrance of the alcove and --- 

Her savior slashed one more time before he cried out. Something wet sounding hit the stone ground. Death curled out a mocking laugh before flying off. 

Y/N ran towards her fallen protector. His arm was bleeding a little. She could see a tear in his sleeve through the flickering light of candle flames. This beautiful, elegant man had risked facing Death itself to save her. 

His pale hand twitched beside his fallen blade. His moonpale cheek twitched in discomfiture. His eyelids fluttered, revealing hints of deep, luscious gold. His face was heavily shadowed, but she could already see the well-etched slant of his statuesque nose, the shape of his painting-like lips. He looked so gentle yet so strong.

Y/N felt breathless as she stared at him, still shaken by what had just happened. But she had to help him somehow. She stretched her hand towards his arm.

That was when he moved his arm and winced in pain. His mouth opened to reveal....Her heart pulsed. Fangs.

Her hero was....a Vampire!?