Chapter 4 - Elixir

Alucard's POV

What I first thought must be true - this woman's blood...I know her family line. I've smelled this scent before. 

Just who is this woman and why is she here. And why must she pledge herself to such a reckless task? Facing Death could mean her own, and far worse things than him lurk in this castle. 

"Stop." I touch her arm. Just like last time there is a surge of warmth, some odd spark. Something inside me tells me I should let go, and I do. My heart wavers strangely.

She looks to me with those bewitching eyes and the thought of being alone torments me. How long has it been since I have been able to truly look into the eyes of another? Three hundred years of loneliness and serrated memories have left me emotionally wounded and aching for the company of another. Yet I must deny myself. My blood is cursed. I do not deserve to look upon such eyes.

"Who are you to risk your life in such a place?" I demand.

"I think...a dream brought me here. It told me to come here and prove my worth. Or else...I would fade away, not even into a memory."

"Are you unwell?" I asked with a concern I could not conceal.

"No...not that..." she sighed. "I was wasting my life in books. I needed to come here. The dream...it was so real. It called to me."

"Ah." Now it's confirmed. I know what the source of that dream is. "You aren't the only one that dream will call. But it is an evil dream. You must--"

"Don't tell me to leave again," she snapped. There is fire in her eyes. It makes me feel...an odd gladness. "I have this! That means I'm worth something." She gestures with the star rod.

I feel myself smile. How strange. "I have never asked your name."

"It's...it's Y/N." 

A beautiful name. I long to speak it, but I restrain my errant tongue.

"And your family name?" I question, wondering briefly why she stammered so.

"L/N." 

No, that can't be right. Frowning, I place my hand against my chin, trying to think. Perhaps the scent was faint because her bloodline has deluded over the years. I want to ask her if she's heard of their name when I hear a small growling sound. I look up, expecting a wolf and instead see Y/N blushing.

"Do you hunger?" I ask. "There will be naught to eat in this place."

"I-I'm fine," she says, and I feel bad for making her blush. Although it is rather...charming. "I am not as weak as you think."

I feel the urge to chuckle. It's a brightness filling my chest that I did not expect. I cannot allow myself to be so beguiled by the presence of others. Yet I cannot seem to help myself. "No, I suppose not. You made it deep into this place on your own, after all."

"With only a knife."

"And your cleverness, I presume?"

She blushes again. "S-see? I'm fine. But what about you, Alucard? What about your wound?"

"It has healed."

"And your other needs? Do vampires not...You would not take my blood, would you?" 

The brightness dims, blotted out by gloom. "No," I say coldly. I start walking again. "If you wish to prove your worth, follow me but stay back. Use your weapon from a distance. And...Y/N." 

"Y-yes?"

"I am not a vampire. That is only half truth."

Over my shoulder, I see her open her mouth to speak, but that is when I hear a beastly shriek. "Get down!" I shout. I dive toward her as electricity explodes above us.