Chapter 3 - Star Rod

Y/N and Alucard never made it to the entrance. 

It was silent between them. Y/N wanted to speak, but her throat was dry with anxiety. Instead she watched in awe as Alucard - what a unique and lovely name - gracefully and effortlessly dispatched each monster that crossed their path. His blade was like a beacon of light in the surrounding darkness of the eerie castle, piercing into her heart as surely as it cut down their enemies. She longed to help and cursed herself for losing her dagger.

Y/N may not have lived a remarkable life. She may have been a quiet girl who always faded silently into the background, who kept to herself and liked books more than people, but she was brave. The more horrifying the monster that attacked was, the more she wished to fight too. She wanted to prove she was strong to this gorgeous stranger. 

Y/N didn't know why she cared so much about what this man thought of her. Even if he seemed to be helping, he was a vampire in Dracula's castle. He could be dangerous. Maybe that was why she wanted to show she was capable so desperately. Doing so would keep her safe.

Alucard jumped up onto a thin ledge and turned, offered his hand. Y/N took his hand. Her heart was thumping for some reason as he hauled her up. Was she worried he would pull her into an embrace that brought those sharp fangs to her throat. Why was her face turning so hot if that was all she feared? 

A strange expression pulsed across Alucard's face. Y/N shivered slightly. She was now on the same stone ledge as he was, facing him. There was space between them. So her blood was surely safe. But why was he staring at her like that, and why had he not yet let go of her hand?

He pulled away suddenly and leaped up onto another ledge. This one looked like it joined with a long corridor. He reached for her again and lifted her up with their joined hands. This time though, he did not look at her. Y/N tried to read his expression, but his face was turned too far away. All she could see was his marble statuesque profile. That elegant nose, those long golden lashes. 

Alucard turned his back to her. Y/N followed, head bent. Her heart was still hammering crazily against her ribs. Why --- 

Y/N's toe caught on something. She tripped forward and tried to catch herself, and someone tumbled backward, straight into a brick wall. Typical, she cursed herself. Suddenly the bricks gave out beneath her back, tumbling painfully down. She landed hard on the ground. Something fell forward, conking her lightly on the head.

"Ouch," Y/N hissed, rubbing her head as she muttered curses at herself for her clumsiness.

She fell quiet when she saw what it was that had struck her. Y/N picked it up slowly, feeling the cool metal fit comfortably against her palms.

"Are you unharmed?" Alucard asked, rushing towards the fallen Y/n.

She would have blushed had she not be mesmerized by the object in her hand. She rose to her feet, still staring at it. It was beautiful. A silver rod with a huge circular sapphire on the top. "What was this doing behind those bricks?" she wondered out loud.

"That's a star rod, a magical weapon useless in human hands," Alucard said.

Y/N walked passed him, holding it firmly with both her hands. She saw him reach out for it and dodged his hand. Y/N waved the rod around a little and then waved it forward in a downward arc. She gasped.

The sapphire lit up like a pool of starlight. Its glow so bright it punished the darkness. A beam of silver and blue magic shot from the sapphire, a bolt of starshine crackling like a firework. Y/N grinned back at her handsome guide.

"But you shouldn't...So that scent I thought I sensed...it is true," Alucard said.

"I can fight now!" Y/N announced, waving the rod around again lightly, watching the sapphire's glow pulse. 

Determined, she turned around and started back the way they had come, holding the rod aloft to help light the way.

"What are you doing? You should quit this place." Alucard said, hurrying after her. He grabbed her arm. Then pulled his hand back like he had been burned.

Y/N smirked at him, willing herself to look as confident as she was amazed by her sudden discovery of magic. "I'm going to prove my worth," she declared. "And I'm going to start by making Death pay for hurting you."