Chapter 2 - Heart Refresh

Alucard's Pov

My arm hurt from my battle with Death. I was careless. Wincing, I grappled my sword and slowly unfolded my tall frame. A presence pried at my senses. I turned, saber ready. And found I was pointing my blade at someone shocking. Her h/c hair spilled down her shoulders like a curtain to her beauty. Her  e/c eyes were wide as moons with fear. They enchanted me. I cannot name why. 

"What is a human doing here?" The words fell coarsely from my lips, a hiss harsher than I had meant it to be. This was a dangerous place, and I wanted this human to leave. How else could she be safe?

"Your-your wounded," she said quietly and backed away from me a step, staring at my mouth.

"This is no place for humans," I said. 

"But your arm. You hurt it because of me," she said. She looked like she was about to step forward toward me again.

I wrapped my cape over my arm and slid backwards. Narrowing my eyes at her. "Do not come any closer," I warned.

"A-a-are you going to..." she trailed off as our eyes met.

I couldn't look away. It felt as it Shaft had cast a spell on me. What kind of desire demon was this woman, to look so bewitching to my eyes. I had lived for over 300 years and yet no one had made my heart stir in such a way. I wanted fiercely to protect her. And that meant staying far away from each other. My path was one of justice and ruin, and I would remain alone once I had completed my task. 

But my heart ached to let her touch my arm, to let her tend to my wound. No one had cared for me in so long. Not since I was a child.

As she came closer, something about her blood spoke to me. Could it be she was....?

Her fingers brushed my sleeve and my trance shattered. I gracefully slid backwards, away from her fingers, adorned with nails that shone like opals in the torch light. 

"Leave," I commanded.

"You...are you Dracula? Why are you sparing my life?" she asked.

"Dracula!?" My voice burst with anger and surprise. "Why would I fight Death if I was him?" I spat.

"Sorry..." she said, lowering her gaze. I noticed she was trembling softly. "Then who are you?"

She was asking who I was? How bold this human was.

"Alucard." 

"Alu...card..." she said slowly, pausing over the syllables in a way that made the loneliness in me ache even more sharply. Her voice was so musical, with such an soft accent. 

Perhaps I have been alone for too long, to be so thoroughly enchanted by this woman. 

"You must leave this place," I said.

"You got yourself hurt because of me. You must be a good person to save me. Even if you are..." she stopped, her eyes slipped to my lips.

"Maybe all vampires are not what they say they are," she said gently and smiled up at me fondly. I looked away quickly. "I have no weapons..."

"Then I will help you get to the door safely. Then you must flee and swear never to return to this accursed abode." I said.

"I swear it," she vowed and outstretched her hand.

I stared at her offered fingers, how lovely and soft and warm they looked. But I did not take her hand. I turned on my heel, expecting her to follow.