Chapter - 3: Memories in Gensokyo

Somewhere within the Bamboo Forest of the Lost, Mokou was lying down in a small clearing just staring at the nice warm blue sky. Her red eyes gazing at the clouds that were moving along the firmament, a wheat stalk sticking out from the corner of her lips with one of her arms behind her head to act as a pillow of sorts.

It was just one of those lazy days for her, sit down and do mostly nothing because that was what she felt like. Just loafing around and wasting the time, being extremely passive. Acting like she has no will to live and all of that which are synonymous.

Her body laid still but her mind wandered, particularly recalling the time when Keine had a strangely shocked expression on her face. Of course, the immortal saw through her lies, she can just see it in her eyes that she was hiding something from her.

Keine was also not that great of a liar, forcing a rather stiff smile almost every time she was going to lie about something. It was an unfortunate habit for her that Mokou easily exploited every time.

But, what exactly was the were-Hakutaku hiding from her? It had to be something related to her first-love, considering that's where she began lying to her face. But what was it? Keine definitely wasn't there when she lost him, Mokou was pretty sure she wasn't even born at that time. Well, at least she thinks so.

So that rules out that the half-beast knew of him in her head which sort of relieves the immortal because that shuts out some of the more nasty possibilities. She doesn't want to be in constant awkwardness with Keine, one of her only friends in the entirety of Gensokyo.

Regardless, she was still on square one. She had zero clues as to what the were-Hakutaku was up to.

She lets out a deep sigh. At times like these, he would probably say something like: "Hibana, you shouldn't mentally strain yourself too much. If you can't figure it out, go off and relax first then tackle it again another time." or something along those lines. She could just hear his voice echoing in her head.

A tiny smile crept under apathetic expression. Hibana was the nickname that he used to call her by. A name that translated into 'fire flower', a nickname that quite fitted her except for the flower part. She's never really considered herself to be as delicate and pretty as a flower really, she hardly ever tried to be feminine at all most of her life.

But, of course, he made the round-a-bout way by indicating that she may not be the prettiest or most delicate, but she was sure as hell the hottest one of them all. To this day she still thinks that is the stupidest and cheesiest flirt he's ever done.

And she hates that it worked on her back then.

Once again, she unbuttons her collar to see his smiling face within the locket. Every time she was getting sappy memories of him, she would more often than not just pull out the hidden necklace and just look at it. She used to evade it back then but now she embraced the memories, it was the best way to accept it.

"This week has been reminding me a lot of you lately, huh..." She whispered quietly, the wheat stalk staggers as she moved her lips. "I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing really."

She sighs, closing her eyes again. It was silent for a moment, only the loud buzzing of the cicadas on the hot summer day. The tall bamboos were her shade from the heat, taller than any house except for Eintei. She watched them grow for centuries from little sprouts to these skyscrapers of plants. She also saw that one maid woman made them grow faster with time and what not but that was beside the point.

She's lived here for a long, long time.  

Suddenly, she heard voices shouting somewhere behind her.