1. Wait, You're Not Ned

Peter had been planning a special dinner with May since the beginning of the week. She had been picking up a lot of extra shifts lately, and he wanted to give her a break for a night. He had gone on patrol immediately after school so he would have time to make everything before she got home, and be able to relax a bit himself. Hey, being Spiderman isn't an exactly easy gig.

Peter was originally just going to make something simple, but once he got started, he really got into it. He went all-out with lasagna, roasted broccoli, garlic bread, and chocolate cake for dessert. Pulling the cake out of the oven, Peter checked the time. May said she would be home around 6:30, and it was already 7:00. He began to worry a little. Of course he knew May was a busy woman and was always picking up shifts for other people at the hospital, but she had promised him she would be here tonight. Besides that, she would usually at least tell Peter if she was going to be working late.

Setting the cake down, Peter made his way into the living room. He plopped down on the couch with a sigh. It had been a long week, and he was exhausted. Flash had been taunting him at school, and his teachers were starting to notice his strange behaviour. He had begun falling asleep in classes and sometimes he asked to go to the bathroom and didn't come back. Peter wished he could explain his situation to them; he didn't want them to worry.

Letting his eyes drift shut, Peter decided he could take a little nap, just until May got home. Right as he was nodding off, though, his phone rang. He dug it out of his pocket and answered with a small hello.

"Hello, is this Peter Parker?" A young-sounding woman's voice rang out.

"Um... yes. Yes it is," Peter responded, trying to ignore the strange twisting he began feeling in the pit of his stomach.

"I am sorry to inform you that your aunt, May Parker, has passed away. We can give you further details at the hospital. Do you have a ride, or should we send someone to pick you up?"

When the woman finished speaking, Peter didn't know what to say. He didn't know what to think. He couldn't even breathe. He was frozen. He heard what the woman said, but it just couldn't be true, could it?

"Peter, are you still there?"

"Y-yeah, yeah I'm here." He forced out.

"I am sending someone to pick you up, can you hold tight for a few minutes, sweetie?" She spoke kindly.

"Yes."

~ +.* \(°~°)/ *.+ ~ <---- This is Jerry. He is providing a time skip. (A/N I know that it isn't necessary to say when there's a time skip, but I want to make little emoticon friends, so I'm going to anyway.)

At the hospital, Peter was directed to waiting area. He sat for a few minutes until a doctor came in to explain the situation. A drunk driver had been speeding and T-boned May's car. She died instantly, and there was nothing they could do to save her.

Peter couldn't really process that May was gone. He knew that she was; he knew the doctors weren't lying. It just wasn't clicking in his head. He didn't feel sad, and he didn't feel like crying. Everything felt like a dream. Like he could wake up at any moment and everything would be fine. But it wouldn't be fine.

After a while of sitting with his knees hugged to his chest, a nurse came to Peter to ask him some questions.

"Peter, until we can make other arrangements, do you have any relatives that you can spend the night with?" She asked. He quickly realized her as the woman he'd heard on the phone. He thought for a moment, and it finally hit him that he was all alone now. He didn't have anybody to take care of him. He would probably end up in foster care and he couldn't be Spiderman anymore if that happened. How had his whole life fallen apart in just one night?

"No, I don't. But I can ask to stay with one of my friends, if that's okay?" He said after a minute.

"That would be fine. Would you like me to call for you?"

"Um, could I just text him? I mean, I don't have to, but I would like to explain..." Peter trailed off, not wanting to finish his sentence.

Noticing his hesitance, the nurse responded, "Of course, take your time. I'll be at the front desk when you're ready."

Peter grabbed his phone and scrolled through his contacts, clicking on Ned's. He was about to call when he remembered Ned had recently got a new phone number. He typed the number in and decided to text him, as he didn't know whether or not he would be able to talk without choking up.

Peter
Hey Ned, sorry for asking so late, but can I come over for the night?

May just died and I don't really have anyone else to ask.

???
Who is this?
How did you get this number?

Peter
Ned, I'm serious. I really don't know what to do right now.

???
This isn't Ned

Peter
Oh, I'm so sorry. My friend just got a new phone because he broke his last one with a toaster somehow

I didn't mean to text you I must have entered the number wrong

???
It's fine. Are you okay though? You said someone died...

Peter
I guess. I don't really know...

???
If you don't mind me asking, why are you staying with a friend? Shouldn't you tell your family or something?

Peter
No, May was my last living relative. I'll probably end up in foster care now >:(

???
I'm sorry

Wait foster care? How old are you?

Peter
That's classified. May told me all about stranger danger.

Anyway, I better go actually text my friend

???
Meh whatever. I'll just hack your phone later.

If you ever need to talk, though, I'll be here

Peter
Thanks

Wait what

A/n Thanks for reading my story! Sorry if it moves kinda quick. This is technically my first time publishing something. Also sorry if I update slow, I didn't really plan this story out and I don't always have a lot of time. Anyway, see ya later ladies, men, and non-binary friends!