12. Game Night

Peter sat waiting, staring into the dark room. His arms were crossed over his chest.

"Prepare yourself," a voice echoed ominously from the darkness. A drum roll started from somewhere in the room; Peter assumed it was being played from someone's phone.

It was pretty extra, he had to admit. Not to mention he had no idea what was going on.

The voice continued, rising in volume and vigor, "For the most insane, the most intense-"

"What are we doing again?" He interrupted.

Somewhere to his side, he heard a quiet voice shushing him. "Let her have her dramatic intro."

Peter smiled and rolled his eyes as the the voice started up again.

"Ahem, as I was saying, the most intense, the most dangerous game known to man! We shall fight for our titles, our honor, and most of all, we shall fight for the Crown of Champions!"

The drum roll ended, and Peter heard a small click.

The room was illuminated by colorful Christmas lights that had been strung across the ceiling.

The light revealed Emma, standing on a chair. She was proudly displaying a plastic crown with flickering, light-up gems. It looked like one of those cheap plastic ones you buy in the birthday isle, but decked out with all kinds of glitter, sequins, and stickers.

Sitting down, Emma placed the crown on her head. She ducked under the table, pulling up a box of Cheez-its, two sombreros, and Monopoly.

Peter was so lost.

Emma handed a sombrero to him. Rachel grabbed the other one and put it on.

"These are the ceremonial sombreros. You have to wear them when you play." She explained. "Unless you won the previous game. Then you get to wear the Crown of Champions."

Peter laughed a little, fixing the sombrero on his head.

Emma had layed out the game board, and was now sorting through the money. "I call banker."

"Naturally," Rachel responded.

"Don't people usually not want to be the banker?" Peter questioned, glancing at Emma.

"Usually, yes." She continued sorting the money, "But I like being in control." She finished, looking up at him evilly.

Peter got chills.

"So wait, what are the Cheez-its for?"

"Oh, those are just a snack," Rachel answered. "Well, mostly..."

Peter wasn't sure he even wanted to know.

Emma picked up the shoe and placed it on start. "Which one do want?"

Peter picked the hat, and Rachel took the wheel barrow. (These are standard Monopoly game peices if anyone doesn't know. Just wanna clarify.)

Peter had felt much better after waking up that morning. For the first time in a while he felt like he actually got a full night of sleep.

He made it through the school day problem free (other than a small incident in physics where Ned playfully punched him in the side because he forgot and Peter fell out of his chair).

Now he was home, though, and it was apparently Family Game Night in the Gardner household (held weekly or bimonthly, depending on schedules).

Peter scrunched his face up in confusion as Emma let Bailey pick a game piece as well.