Chapter 11: Heart Does Go On

Her fingers let go of the cold, hard doorknob as she closed the door behind her

Her fingers let go of the cold, hard doorknob as she closed the door behind her. Her body lacked his presence and just for a moment, she felt lost. Trying her best to shake herself out of her emotions, she put her hand in her back pocket and removed her earphones. Placing them in her ear, she played her songs. As loud as a lion's roar the music blasted through her ears, drowning out all her thoughts and feelings. Coincidentally, one of her favourites started to play and she smiled. Considering her situation before this song seemed unusual, 'Back to you' By Selena Gomez.

She chuckled lightly, a tint of pink threatening to rise in her cheeks, but she pushed it away, eager to get away and do something less cheesy. She rubbed her cheeks to remove any hint of the blush from them and began walking in the cafeteria's direction. It was finally lunch and later she had Physical Education, she thought, sighing through her nose. Fitness was one of the significant activities she had hoped to be a part of. Volleyball was one of her best activities. She silently hoped for any chance of playing it.

As she walked past the students in the hallway, her head hung low, and her eyes remained on her phone. Increasing the brightness of the screen, she texted Cameron.

Ray: Hey, where you at?

Cameron: I'm in the cafeteria. Got your coffee and pizza, get here fast or you would find your food magically gone!

Ray: You can have it, Cam.

Cameron: You better get your ass here Walker, I know you haven't eaten anything since morning

Ray: How in the world would you know dumbass

Cameron: A little birdie told me.

Ray: You're dead Williams. Do you get me? Dead

Ray: You god damning stalker

Cameron: This number will no longer respond to your unwanted texts'

Ray: Idiot

Ray shook her head in frustration, switching off her phone and placing it back in her back pocket. She just straightened and walked ahead, focusing on the music that blasted through her ears rather than the methods Cameron could have used to remember her schedule. Sometimes when she concentrated too much, she could feel the way the vibrations roamed across her body. But she always shook herself out of that feeling, she couldn't afford to fall into another world, when she had so much to worry about in this one. Stalking ahead she increased her pace as the cafeteria came into view.

Avoiding all the eye contact, she dissolved herself in her phone as she walked towards her usual spot besides Cameron. A small motion attracted her attention and she glanced up in confusion to find him waving at her frantically, attracting all the eyes of the cafeteria. She frowned at him and willed him to stop, her eyes narrowing. He just grinned at her and pointed at the food counter. There lay a batch of hot, newly baked cookies, on a platter following a huge line of students. She glared at him and shook her head, no. He joined his hands and placed them over his head, mouthing 'Please' and acting as if he were desperate. She just showed him the middle finger and got into the line.