Chapter 21: Presence

Her heart was thundering

Her heart was thundering. It was beating at a pace faster than light, so fast that she could feel it drum all across her body. She was mentally shaking, her whole attention on the body beside her. The way he had come so close, and she had let him, had left her breathless and doubting her self control. Physically, her eyes were trained ahead, on the bag which flew to and fro. Her hands punching the bag with excessive force to drown her thoughts as Music blasted in her ears. Everything and everyone was in another world. Everyone apart from him. Even though the pain was pulsing in her arms passing through her bones and she couldn't hear anything else apart from the music in her ears, she could feel his presence.

He was there, he hadn't drowned away like everything else. He was real, alive standing right beside her. She could picture him, as he took the life out of the poor bag. His face was scrunched up only to form a guarded expression. His arm muscles were flexing, causing the veins hidden deep to show themselves. Right now, all Ray knew was that she was having continuous thoughts about him and his beautiful deep amber eyes, and she was unable to drown them no matter what. It was getting infuriating.

Suddenly feeling a surge of annoyance burst inside her, Ray let out an annoyed sound and punched, hard. The bag literally flew back and came back down with extreme force. Ray grit her teeth and held the bag, as it came rushing down towards her. A wave of pain shot up her arm, causing her to hiss under her breath. As she gripped the bag edges, she sighed and rested her forehead on its rough surface and closed her eyes. Her forehead was still tickling from the kiss Angel had given her. She opened her mouth slightly and let out a breath as the picture from that scene came back crashing in her mind.

She felt a hand on her shoulder and she jerked back in surprise. She turned and saw Angel's face. It was etched with hidden concern. She raised her eyes to his and shook her head. He raised his eyebrows and his lips formed a thin line. She smirked at him half-heartedly and moved back, not being able to remove her eyes from his.

"Hey Lovebirds!" Someone yelled. She groaned under her breath and turned around, only to be met by an amused Joshua. She rolled her eyes and flipped him off. He frowned at her and she grinned in triumph. His frown deepened, and he pointed towards Ray's next trainee. She smirked and nodded, causing his face to scrunch up into an expression of irritation. Chuckling softly, She turned halfway and showed her smirk to Angel who was glancing between her and Joshua with guarded eyes. She reached out and ruffled his already messed up hair causing him to growl under his breath.

She laughed wholeheartedly and took a step away from him. She wiggled her fingers at him and said, "Bye niño bonito."

Angel's eyes widened in surprise and he let out a chuckle, muttering a "Dios." under his breath. She smirked at his astonished expression and took another step back, "I can learn Spanish too. See you tomorrow." She said, walking away. As she walked away she heard him scoff and say, "I'm still coming with you tonight."

She groaned and stomped her foot. Her pains came to no avail. Ignoring his knowing chuckles, she walked toward her next trainee, keeping her eyes trained ahead. They got to work immediately. For the next 3 hours, Ray lost herself in vigorous exercise, with constant running, defence and attack positions and casual matches which left both, her and her trainee, panting. Often she stood and he lay on the ground, groaning.