iii. fireproof

Harry's POV

"'Cause nobody knows you baby, the way I do.

'Cause nobody loves you baby, the way I do.

It's been so long, it's been so long.

Maybe we're fireproof," I sang as quietly as I could to Taylor as I gently stroked her wildly curly blonde hair.

I had woken up after about 6 hours' sleep and just soaked in her presence sleeping peacefully beside me. I watched as she took every delicate breath, her mouth slightly parted, the rising and falling motion of her chest and the flutter of her delicate and impossibly long golden eyelashes. I watched closely at every move she made; they way she smiled in her sleep and as her eyebrow twitched every once in a while and when she turned her head, trying to get comfortable. I wasn't watching her in a creepy way, but more like in the way you watch your newborn baby. Not wanting to miss a single thing.

The curtains in her room had always been the extremely thick type, so as to not let any sunlight in and by 10:00am Taylor still hadn't so much as stirred and I didn't blame her. Was I not the one who took her on some joyride in the middle of the night and then messed with her emotions?

I laid on my back and considered why I had even come this far to get her heart back; but what I had said the previous night was so true. I hadn't even realised what I was saying until the words were coming out of my mouth. What had led up to last night's little reunion was that I had been driving past her house and before I had even known what I was doing, the text to her phone had already been delivered.

I usually drove past her house most nights I was in town. Some nights her bedroom lights were on, some nights they weren't. On a bad night, I would drive aimlessly in circles through the surrounding streets so I could pass by her house twice or even three times just to maybe see the outline of one of her cats stalking across the ground or her silhouette getting ready for bed and I always felt a pang of longing to think that she had resumed her daily life, finding happiness in other things while I had become a shell of my former self.

It wasn't like I had completely cut myself off from everyone and all I thought about was her, I obviously had the boys and our amazing fans who always made me smile, but in the Love Department, I had never been as satisfied as I had been while I was dating her.

My thoughts were interrupted by stirring and a yawn on Taylor's side of the bed. I flipped onto my side and watched her waking up to a new day. Another yawn as she sat up and stretched her arms above her head. I tried not to stare.

It was like she glowed in the morning light. Her yawn was so cute. "Goodmorning sweetheart," I whispered in my own gravelly morning voice. As if just noticing I was in her bed, she looked over and smiled an embarassed smile, almost as if she felt even the slightest bit immoral about me being shirtless in her bed.

"Hey... are you gonna put a shirt on?" she raised an eyebrow, "not that I'm complaining or anything, just asking," she shrugged.

"Miss Swift, you'd be lying to both of us if you said you didn't like the view," I chuckled as I sat up and leaned back on the headboard of her bed.

"Oh," she sucked her teeth. "Well you know, I can't exactly see the view, Styles," she smirked, motioning to her eyes. They looked even bluer than usual and that's when I realised she didn't have her contacts in.

She turned to her bedside table, retrieving a pair of glasses with thick-ass black frames. She blinked and then stared at my naked chest.

"Mmmmh, yes... I like that very much, you're right... you should just stop wearing shirts if you look like a fucking sex god without a shirt on," she mumbled and delicately traced the butterfly tattoo on my lower abdomen with the nail of her index finger.