Chapter 2: A Game of Hide and Seek.

The next day was a bore and probably a complete opposite of 'great'. It had started raining. They all sat in one of the larger rooms of the house, trying to pass the time.

Hamish was reading a fantasy book engrossed, sitting near the window sill. Lucy was sadly looking out of the window from beside him. Peter, Susan and Edmund seemed to be playing some word game. Anna sat beside Susan on the couch, helping them occasionally.

"Gastrovascular", said Susan turning a page of the dictionary on her lap.

There was an awkward pause.

"Come on Peter, Gas-tro-vas-cular"

"Is it Latin?", he asked.

"Yes.."

"Is it Latin for the worst game ever?", Edmund joked.

Susan simply glared at him.

"The gastrovascular cavity is the primary organ of digestion and circulation in two major animal phyla: the Cnidaria and Platyhelminthes." Anna replied, not even looking up from her book.

"Correct." said Susan as Peter and Edmund looked at her in disbelief.

Lucy looked at her siblings and then at the boy beside her.

She tried to start a conversation with him, "Ummm.. so, you like to read?"

"Yes." came the curt reply.

"What kind of books?"

"Fantasy."

"Oh.. which ones are your favourite?"

With that, Hamish closed the book, took a deep breath and looked at the girl.

"How old are you again?" He just asked.

"Nine." She replied, excitedly.

Hamish is looked away and grunted. He still could not understand how other kids close or equal to his age could be so different.

"I'm pretty sure you would not want to talk with me." He stated.

"Why not?"

"Because.. I am.. different. And you've noticed that too."

"Oh, that's alright! You're like my sister, you know? It's good to read. That's okay!"

"I didn't mean that." He took a deep breath and continued, "I meant.. me not being able to walk like any other kids."

"That's alright. It still doesn't make you any different."

"It doesn't?"

"Of course not!"

He turned and looked at her in shock, and his lips curved into a small smile.

"Thank you." He simply said.

"You're welcome!" Lucy smiled back brightly, happy to have made a new friend and hopped to her siblings.

"I'm bored" said Edmund.

"We could play hide and seek!" Lucy suggested looking at Peter.

"But we're already having so much fun!", said Peter sarcastically, looking at Susan, pointedly, who just rolled her eyes.

"Pleaase.. Pretty please.." she begged pouting.

Peter looked at her smiling as he started counting, "One.. Two.. Three.."

Oh, Johnny, oh, Johnny, how you can love?
Oh, Johnny, oh, Johnny, heavens above!

Lucy jumped happily and ran to Hamish. She grabbed his hand, ignoring his yelps of protest and wide to hide.

You make my sad heart jump with joy
And when you're near, I just can't sit still a minute,
I'm so, oh, Johnny, oh, Johnny, please tell me, dear,

Anna and Susan both rolled their eyes and quickly made their way to the kitchens, giggling and hiding in one of the kitchen counters.

What makes me love you so?
You're not handsome, it's true but when I look at you,
I just, oh, Johnny, oh, Johnny, oh, da, da, da

Edmund too ran, to somewhere, in the huge mansion as Peter kept on counting.