Chapter 7: The Midnight Confusion.

As soon as they reached back, Lucy rushed to Peter's room with Edmund right behind her, turned on the lights and jumped on him, violently shaking him awake.

"Peter! Peter! It's there! It's really there!!"

Peter rolled over, half asleep and asked, "Lucy? What are you talking about?"

"Narnia! It's all in the wardrobe, like Hamish and I told you!!" Lucy exclaimed, just as Susan and Anna rushed into the room in their night robes.

"Oh Lucy, you've been dreaming." said Susan as Anna fixed her glasses which were askew.

"No, I was not! I saw Mr. Tumnus again! Oh and this time-" Lucy turned towards Edmund and continued, "Edmund went too."

Peter looked at Edmund and asked, "You- You saw the fawn?"

Lucy then quickly said, "Well, he didn't actually go there with me. What were you doing Edmund?"

"I-I was just playing along." Edmund said. "You know what little children are like these days, they just don't know when to stop pretending." He sat on his bed, looking at Lucy smugly.

Hearing his words, Lucy immediately broke into a cry and ran out of the room.

Anna exclaimed angrily, "Way to make things worse, Edmund!" And followed her out along with Susan.

Peter quickly scrambled out of his bed, grabbed his night robe and shoved Edmund angrily, following them. Edmund's yelp of pain was ignored by the angry children.

Lucy who ran down the hall, smacked into the professor. She looked up at him, a little frightened and then started crying all over again, hugging him.

The others came a little after and Anna quickly said, "I'm so sorry professor, it's my fa-"

Mrs. Macready who entered the room, suddenly, looked mortified, "You children are one shenanigan shy of sleepin' in the stable!" She glared at them and then turned to professor, "Oh professor! I told them you were not to be disturbed!"

"Oh, it's alright Mrs. Macready- I'm sure there is a logical explanation, but I think this one needs some hot chocolate." The professor remarked in a kind voice.

Mrs. Macready who seemed to calm down, replied, "Yes professor. Come on dear..." She walked away taking Lucy's hand, to the kitchen.

Peter, Susan and Anna turned to leave, only to hear the professor clearing his throat.

They looked at each other and turned towards the professor, following him to his office.

The bearded man sat at his desk, motioning with his hand for them to sit on the chairs, while he took some tobacco out from its silver apple case and put it in his pipe. Anna sat almost immediately, followed by a hesitant Susan and Peter.

The professor spoke up, "You seem to have upset the internal balance of my housekeeper."

"Her internal balance is always upset.." Anna muttered as Susan and Peter stifled a chuckle and the professor raised an eyebrow, playfully.

Peter then replied, seriously, "We are very sorry sir, it won't happen again."

"It's our sister, sir." Susan said, earning a glare from Peter.

"The weeping girl?"

"Yes sir, she's upset."

"Hence, the weeping."

"We can handle it!" Peter replied, gritting his teeth and glaring at Susan.

"Oh, I can see that." Anna spat, glaring at Peter.

They both glared at each other and Susan noticing the tension, quickly said, "She thinks she's found a magical land in the upstairs wardrobe."

The professor's calm face immediately turned into one of shock, "What did you say?!"

"The wardrobe upstairs, Lucy thinks she's found a forest inside." Peter said, breaking his glare and looking at the professor.

"What was it like?" He asked.

"Like talking to a lunatic!" Susan exclaimed.

"No, not her- the forest!"

"You're- You're not saying you believe her?" Peter asked in disbelief.

"Well- don't you?"

"Well, logically, it couldn't possibly be there!" Susan retorted.

"What do they teach at these schools?" The professor grumbled.

"Hamish said that he went with her.." Anna said, thoughtfully.

"But Ed said they were only pretending!" Peter retorted back, looking at her and then at the professor. Anna made a face.

"And- he's the more truthful one, is he?" The professor inquired.

"No, this would be the first time.." Peter said.

"Well then! I'd say your sister-" he looked at Peter and then at Anna, "-and your brother aren't lying and are not mad, then 'logically' we must assume that they are telling the truth. They're your siblings, aren't they? You're family! It's high time you start acting like one!"

They all flinched and looked guilty. The professor slouched in his chair, as Peter and Susan apologised.

"We're- We're sorry to disturb you professor. Good night." Peter said.

Susan too apologised and then they looked at Anna, "Good night Anna."

She nodded and they went back to their rooms, but Anna stayed back, deep in thought.

"Well?" The professor asked, looking at her.

Anna looked at him and stammered,
"P-Professor, I saw something that makes me want to believe that Lucy and Hamish are saying the truth.."

"What was it?" The professor asked, leaning on the desk with interest.

"P-Pine leaves, professor. On H-Hamish's braces. A-And the way they talked about i-it was so.. so.." She scrambled with her words.

"Realistic? Believable?" The professor continued.

"Yes! Exactly!" She exclaimed.

The professor simply smiled, "And?"

She took a deep breath and concluded, "It sounds believable, but it can't possibly be true."

"I apologise professor. Good night." She got up from her chair and turned to leave, just as he called out, "My dear Lisa! Never forget what I told you- to always keep your mind open to imaginations! No matter what!"

She heard it quite clearly but still walked away, closing the door.