i

"Meeting adjourned," I said to my fellow journalists. I watched as they hastily packed their things, then I turned to the window to stare at the orange-tinted sky.

The sun is about to set. That must be the reason why all of them are moving so fast as if they were in a race and they were competing against each other.

One by one, they left our club room until I ended up being alone with the silence.

I sighed and looked at the things we had discussed at today's meeting.

This month's issue of le héraut, the official newspaper of Yokohama International Science Academy, covers the whole activities of this year's school festival that will be held one week from now.

"There's nothing interesting here," I said to myself.

"I'm just right in time, am I not?" I quickly lifted my gaze towards the door.

"Good afternoon, Ma'am," I greeted our newspaper advisor as she entered the clubroom. 

She's a tall and slender woman with cherry red eyes and red hair tied into a traditional Japanese bun that is held by three long golden clips and another hair clip on the right side of her head, composed by a light pink furry hair clip and red ribbon which forms a five petal flower.

She's not really our adviser. She acts as our temporary adviser. I'm a little bit suspicious about her, to be honest. She's not a teacher here and the administration said that she's an outsider. However, until the school finds our new adviser, she'll be filling the position.

"We just finished our meeting. I apologize for not inviting you, Ma'am. The other teachers said that you're at an important meeting."

"It's fine. Besides, I have faith and trust in you."

"Anyhow, what may I do for you?" 

"Do you have anything to do tomorrow?"

Tomorrow is Saturday. I have a part-time job to do.

"I have work tomorrow but I can make time, I guess, or I can just skip my work."

"I'm pretty sure this is worth your time though," she said. I looked at her with a confused expression. She smirked and said, "I scheduled an interview with the Armed Detective Agency but unfortunately, an emergency happened and I won't make it tomorrow. Will you come instead?" 

"And what shall I ask them?" I asked. 

"Anything you want to know," she answered. "Or maybe you can ask them to let you tag along in one of their cases. So that you can take down notes on how they do their work."

"Are we going to feature them in this month's issue?"

"Good idea! Yes, yes, we're going to feature them. I heard they have an award-winning detective in their sleeves," she said. "Oh, it's already dark. I think you should go already. I'll be on my way, also. Thank you, (Y/N)~chan."

"No worries, Ma'am. Anything for the publication," I said. She just nodded and left afterwards.

And so, the next day came. I forgot to ask our adviser what time I will be meeting them. I texted her but I received no replies from her. So I just decided to meet them after my shift.

I work in a book cafe every weekend. My shift starts at 8:00 in the morning and will end at 4:00 in the afternoon. I need to work so I can sustain my everyday needs. I have lived alone, ever since that day.

Straight from my work and still wearing our uniform, I went to the address that the adviser gave me. My knuckles met the wooden door and then I wrapped my hands around the doorknob.

I slid the doorknob as I carefully opened the door.

When the door has been fully opened, I froze on what I see. A blonde tall guy with glasses sent a grey-haired guy flying towards the floor.

"This is the first technique my martial arts master taught me. A true expert can send an opponent flying no matter how they came charging in. So far, I haven't won against my Master a single time," the blonde guy said.

"So no matter how many useless assassins they have sent, there's no way that person would lose," he added.

"A-ano," I interrupted them. The grey-haired guy immediately stood up. "My name is (Y/N) (L/N), the Editor-in-Chief of le héraut, the official newspaper of Yokohama International Science Academy. I believe that our adviser has set an appointment with you today. Due to some circumstances, she won't make it and instead, it'll be me who's going to meet you."

"I thought you're called Paragon," the blonde guy said.

"Paragon is the name of our organization, Sir," I said.

"(L/N), isn't it? Can you come back some other time? An emergency situation happened and we had to move our office for the meantime. We'll be temporarily out of service for hands-on cases and meetings until the problem has been solved," he explained.

"I shall come back some other time, then. Thank you for informing me," I said and bowed. "If that's the case, can I leave my contact number? Just text me if everything's okay already. Thank you, once again."

"Thank you for your kind consideration also," I nodded at the blonde guy and left.