xiv

I sighed as I stared at my window. The moon, it's so bright. So bright that it feels so peaceful and reassuring.

The night is beyond beautiful, if only... I don't have this "gift".

I love the moon, if only it doesn't have to be dark just for it to shine.

It's been a long time since the last time I've gazed at the moon with so much admiration. It's been a long time since the last time I appreciated it. It's been a long time since the last time I looked at it.

And that time, on contrary to how bright the moon was that night, it was the darkest time of my life. Only dark and red colors are what I can see.

I was so occupied in the past that I didn't feel the tear that fell from my left eye.

I wiped it and snapped out of my thoughts. It's all in the past now, I should not reminisce about it anymore.

No matter how I look back on it, I will never have the power to change it. At least, I have the present and the future. Iʼll do everything so that history won't repeat itself.

I checked my phone and saw that there's a new message from Akemi.

From: Akemi
Heeeyyy. I know it's kinda late already but Dazai-san texted me to tell you that he wants to meet you tonight at the riverside by 12 midnight. I told him that it's too late and that you won't agree but he insisted.

I typed my reply to her.

To: Akemi
Heeeyyy. It's fine. Besides, I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight either. Something's bugging me. Don't worry about it, I can handle it and if I need some help, you're the first one I'll go to. Tell him I'm coming.

From: Akemi
Are you sure? But why would he like to meet you around that time though? Have any ideas? Is it about your decision on joining the agency?

To: Akemi
I don't know. But regarding me joining the agency, I'm supposed to meet them tomorrow morning.

Actually, I have an idea why but of course, I should keep it a secret to Akemi. I don't want to drag her into this matter. It will just endanger her life. Just like what happened to the first ever person who accepted me, months ago. I might ki--

I stopped. It will never happen anymore. I won't let it.

I wore a jacket and jogging pants before heading outside.

I was only a few steps away from my destination when my nose caught a fragrance. I stopped and sniffed. This scent. It smells so good. It smells so nice. It smells so deli--

I instantly pinched my nose to refrain from sniffing more. It's not right. I started walking again until I reached the riverside.

My mouth slightly opened when I saw a portion of a river that's dyed in blood. Suddenly, someone emerged from the water. My eyes widened when I saw a familiar figure. It was Akemi. But there's more to it, she has a wound on her right arm.

"Akemi!" I shouted and tried to dive into the water but I stopped due to the strong and an overwhelming scent of iron.

My breathing gets heavier and heavier. I could feel the greed and gluttony that's starting to build up within me.

I shook my head. I calmed myself. I shouldn't feel this. My eyes wandered around the area to look for someone.

Where's Dazai-san? He should be here by now. Why the hell is he not around yet when I needed him the most?

My gaze went back to Akemi. She's drowning! It looks like she's on her limit, too.

I immediately went into the water and rushed towards her. I grasped on her shoulders and her uninjured arm. I hold my breath so that I won't be able to smell her blood but it's just too irresistible.

I looked away so that she wouldn't see the liquid that was drooling from my mouth and swam towards the riverbank.

"Thank you, (Y/N)," she said. I just smiled at her.

"You're my-" I stopped when I couldn't recognize my voice. I turned to the opposite side of her. I coughed and modulated my voice box. "You're my friend so of course, expect me to help you."

"I'm your friend?"

"Yes. Best friend, actually."

"Then why did you keep a secret from me?" I froze. Does she know it already? How?

"It's because I don't want you--"

"Look at me, (Y/N). Look me on the eyes," she demanded.

"No."

"If you won't, then I'll make you."

"What are you going to do?"

My question has been answered when once again, the strong scent of iron covered the area.

"What are you doing?" I looked at her but I immediately turned my back when I saw the expression written on her face.

"The appearance of the attacker's right eye... was similar to a ghoul. The sclera... was black and the iris possesses the color of the... blood," she said slowly as she recited the wanted creature's appearance that she once mentioned to me. Tears began to gather on the corner of my eyes. "W-Was it you, (Y/N)?"

I bit my lower lip to contain myself from bursting out crying. I remembered the time she lunged into my apartment as fear and worries were shown in her eyes. She was worried that the creature must have attacked me but it was the other way around. She should fear and worry because I am the attacker.

Silence.

That's all I could give to her. She already knows the answer so why bother to ask?

I was supposed to walk away from her when I smelled more blood.

I turned at them and my eyes widened when I saw two Akemi.