The Joy of Babies

When Natasha woke up, she knew something was terribly wrong. A weight was pressed against her side, and she craned her neck around to see Steve's head warm against her side, and he was shivering. Then, she noticed that instead of a dusty, small bed they were sleeping on, it was replaced with a comfy, king-sized bed filled almost to the brim with soft pillows and children's plush. Some were on the floor, while some dangled off sideways from the side of the bed. There was no blanket, and Natasha realized that Steve's coat was around her, and the reason why he was shivering like hell.

"Steve, Steve, wake up!" she hissed. When he still wouldn't budge, she shrugged his coat off and threw it on his head.

Steve came snoring awake, and he clawed at his coat. "Where, what, huh? What is this thing?"

"Idiot." Natasha tugged the brown coat off him, and he blinked sapphire-like eyes at her, cloudy with sleep.

The cloudiness was gone, however, when he took in their surroundings. The bed, the wall ruined by messy handprints splattered all over the place, the plush and pillows strewn all over the floor, and finally stopped at the baby crib in the corner. The alarm in his eyes intensified when the crib emitted burbling sounds. "That crib just talked."

Sometimes, Natasha wondered how stupid could people get. "We're in a different reality, Rogers. How are we going to get the stones like this?" She hopped off the bed, and realized that her clothes had changed into a black, sleeveless top and ridiculously pink shorts. She pulled a strand of hair forward, and realized it had turned back to red. She sighed, and approached the crib. She peeked in, and indeed, a baby was inside, squirming around and staring at her with large green eyes.

"Holy shit, Steve. There's a baby."

Steve, in his daze, asked, "Did you just give birth to one last night?"

"Of course not!" Natasha reached in and picked the baby up. The little child reached up small hands and her tiny fingers caught Natasha's pinky. She cooed at it. "Come on, Steve. She's cute."

After a second or two, Steve hesitantly peeked over her shoulder. The baby looked up at him, and started bouncing in Natasha's arms, babbling baby nonsense. "Wow. She has your eyes, Romanoff."

"Are you saying that this is my baby?" Natasha passed the little bundle in her arms to Steve, who awkwardly tried to carry the struggling child without falling over himself. She took the baby back. "I'm not that stupid to fall in love with someone! Let alone get married. Love is for children."

"Well, if you put it that way." Steve scratched his head. "So, we wake up to a different reality each day? Or timeline? Gosh, this is confusing."

Something burned Natasha's wrist, and she looked down at it. The number 13 shone with a turquoise light on her skin, which was clearly not there before. "What the- Steve, what's happening?"

"I don't know!" Natasha looked over at the serious blond, who was rubbing the heel of his palm against his wrist. He extended his arm, and an identical number 13 with the same glowing light was inked onto his wrist too. "You said something about, what, 14 days?"

The baby, who had gone quiet as this happened, started to wail, and Natasha rocked the baby side to side to no avail. "Today is the second day," she whispered. "13th day. We have 13 days left to get our asses out off this fucked-up mess we're in."

The baby cried louder.

Natasha, who had tried everything in the span of one minute to quiet the baby, resorted to the last possible solution: singing. Come on, you've seen Laura do it to little Nathaniel, it's probably not that hard, right? But it's somehow hard when a person was stupidly watching you a feet away. Especially when that person was probably the father to this baby, and probably her-