1

Hello, lovelies! No, this is NOT a spin-off of my other fanfiction, [Lament] Nozel Silva x Reader.

NOT SPOILER FREE.

Reader POV

"(y/n)!" Your little brother Ashio ran up to you. "Can I please come with you to town today?"

You looked at your mother who was currently taking care of your sick father and she nodded. "Very well. You can hold his for me,"

He gladly took hold of a smaller pack filled with some books. "Why do you have so many books in here?"

"I have to pass the time somehow," you laughed. "C'mon, we've got a long walk ahead."

...

"Wow! Look at the size of that fountain!" Ashio ran up to the fountain and stared at the koi fish with delight.

You both had just dropped off some books to the library that you took out for a week's time.

"Ashio, get off the side of the fountain!"

He jumped down and stared at you with confusion. "Why?"

"Because children shouldn't wander from their mothers or older siblings," you chided. "Now, I'm hungry. Are you?"

Ashio's green eyes widened with delight. "Yes! Can we go there?"

You glanced in the direction of a tavern that had a delightful smell wafting from it. "Sure,"

As soon as you both got food served, Ashio tucked into his meal with utter joy. "Wow! Can Mom make this?"

"I don't think so, she's busy caring for Dad, remember?" You reminded him.

Sadly, your father came down with an illness that could only be cured by Nightengale Bloom, something that was extremely expensive and rare. Something that you couldn't afford.

So your mother had to work with what she could.

None of you told Ashio, but Dad's condition was growing worse.

"Here is the bill, Miss."

You paid the bill- which knocked out one-third of the coins you had to spare.

Ashio ran ahead of you, staring at everything vendors had to offer.

"Out of the way!" A boy with silver hair and a braid in his front face pushed Ashio out of the way, causing him to fall. He ran towards the center of the town.

"Watch where you're running!" You shouted back at him. You helped pick Ashio up, scoffing at the taller boy who ran past you.

...

"We're home!" Ashio announced.

Your mother immediately shushed him. "Ash, be quiet! Your father is sleeping,"

You closed the creaky door and stared at the one-room cabin. "Mom, how is he doing?"

Your mother just stared at you with sad eyes as Ashio ran towards the little kitchen space to start coloring.

"(y/n), I need to speak to you. Outside." She dragged you outside and spoke in a low voice. "You remember my friend Lady Acier, correct?"

"Yeah, I remember last time I saw her, she had just given birth to Lady Nebra,"

Your mother took a deep breath. "(y/n), as the eldest, it pains me to say this. We are sending you to Lady Acier's household. We cannot take care of both of you, anymore. Your brother will take over your father's business when he is older."

You took a deep breath. It was your family. "But what about Dad?"

"Lady Acier has already promised to pay for Nightengale Bloom. I just got a message. She had just found out not that long ago and was furious that I never told her. But (y/n), you are going to live with her for now. Besides," she winked. "I do remember Nozel and you used to be somewhat close."

"Hardly," you spat. "He just used me as a servant."

"(y/n), Lady Acier will be here shortly. I've already got your bag packed."

"I'll miss you," you hugged your mother.

She gave you a tired smile. "Don't fret, my child. We will see you very soon, alright?"

As soon as she spoke those words, Lady Acier arrived in a steel chariot. "Hello, (mother's name)!"

"Hello, Acier," your mother smiled and you hid behind your mother slightly.

Lady Acier got down from her chariot and you could see that she was once more pregnant. "This couldn't be (y/n)?" The older woman smiled at you. "Last time I saw you, you were a little toddler! How old are you now?"

"Ten," you said.

"Nozel is eleven," Lady Acier smiled. "Well, let's go."

"Where is (y/n) going?" Ashio asked as he ran outside to see the chariot moving away into the sky.

"She's...going home," you last heard your mother say with tears in her eyes.

...

"Nozel! Nebra!"

Nozel came out with his five-year-old sister and pointed at you with an annoyed expression. "YOU!"

"YOU." You glared at him. "You were the one who pushed Ashio out of the way!"

"Shut up, I was hurrying home because Mother told me to!"

Lady Acier had an annoyed expression. "Nozel! Shush! (y/n) will be living with us from now on,"

"What!" He shouted, enraged. Nebra jumped, obviously he startled her.

"Who are you?" Nebra ran up to you with curious eyes. She had the cutest short gray hair, just like Lady Acier and Nozel.

You leaned down and offered a hand to her which she took. "I'm (y/n),"

"Why are you here?" Nebra asked. "Which Noble House are you from? The servants there obviously don't wash your clothes very well, or you are just very adventurous,"

"I'm not from any noble house,"

"Royalty?"

Lady Acier laughed. "No, dear. (y/n) is the daughter of my best friend, (mother's name). Don't you remember her?"

"The woman who you talked to in town last week?" Nebra retracted her hand from yours immediately. "So a commoner,"

"That's right," you nodded, surprised at her actions.

Nebra stormed over to her brother with disgust. "I touched hands with a commoner! I can't believe you, Mother! She's a commoner!"

Lady Acier rolled her eyes at her child. "Don't listen to your father. Royals, Nobles, Commoners alike. We are all the same,"

Nozel glared at you as did Nebra as Lady Acier guided you to the stairs that lead to the upper floors.

"Well, now you know her." Lady Acier smiled. "(y/n), welcome home,"