03 No!*

Alic POV

I wake up to momma Ray's screaming again and quickly make my way downstairs. Breakfast served and coffee poured. Strangely, I can reach the pot much more easily. I grab a piece of toast as I am dismissed to get ready for school.

"Man, I'm hungry," the voice returns.

"No, this is not real. I am not crazy!" I think as I get dressed.

"That's right, you're not. We need to talk, though." The voice says.

"NO! Shut up! Shut up! Shut UP!!"

The voice goes away, and I breathe a sigh of relief. Now for school.

○●○●○●

School was rather uneventful. Ruby was quiet all day, which is odd. She told me her dad says to her, "If you keep your mouth shut too long, your tongue will beat your brain to death." I thought it was a funny way to say you talk too much, but I guess she is testing that theory today.

I noticed a lot of the kids kinda stink... I guess I just never paid attention to it before. The bell hurts my ears, but I'm adjusting. After my nap in the woods, everything is heightened, and I feel on edge.

Towards the end of the day, Ruby finally talks to me.

"Hey Alic." She says awkwardly."You wanna come over to my house?" I was surprised no one ever goes in that community unless they live there. Poppa Jay says it's a cult.

"Ummm... am I allowed?" I ask, unsure about this.

"Yeah... I asked my dad, and he said I could. I guess I talk about you a lot... he wants to meet you." She says.

"You talk about me?" I ask. It is odd to think someone cares enough to talk about me in any good way... And her dad wants to meet me?... I don't know about this.

"Yeah, of course you're my best friend! Come on, I just wanna hang out... we can play board games, watch TV, and video games. Come on, it'll be fun!" She says. Well, poppa Jay did say he wanted me to stay away more, so why not.

"Yeah, I guess I could go." I say.

"Great!" She says with a smile.

Ruby's POV

All day, I tried to get the nerve to ask him over. It's not something I've ever done, and I know what the kids at school think of the pack. When I finally ask, he agrees to my surprise. After school, I grab his hand and pull him along with me. Alpha Aaron told me to walk ahead of the rest of the pups so the teens could watch me, but none of the others would let anything slip and freak him out.

"What are you doing?" Alic asks as I pull him through the crowd.

"We gotta hurry... dad has to work tonight, and I want you to meet him." I lied, but I needed a good explanation for the hurry. We ran past the pack kids and kept a quick pace, staying a good bit ahead of them. He kept up easily. He he's to be a wolf. No way he could keep up otherwise. It is a long walk home. I usually don't mind, but with Alic, it was awkward and tense. We don't bring outsiders into the pack boundaries ever. The looks we're getting are driving me nuts.

"Here we are." I say as we finally hit the security checkpoint. They let us through no problem, but I can see them eyeing Alic. I'm nervous for him, and he doesn't even know what he's in for.