22 A New Beta*

"Why does it have to be 3AM?" I ask, meeting Alpha Aaron near the pack house.

"No one is up yet, and we can be back before anyone is... it's best if the Alpha is available for his people... plus we don't require as much sleep... you'll realize that soon." He says then takes off running. I keep up no problem, this time. "We're meeting Malak in the clearing between the packs... if we pick up the pace, we can get there, take a lap around the boundary, and back before five... you up for it, Alpha?" He asks with a grin. I smile and nod.

We are running so fast the trees are a blur. I feel lighter. The tension that has been building melting away. I see what Alpha Aaron was saying. I already feel more myself.

"Hey Malak." I say as we meet him in the field.

"We aren't stopping boys. Get a move on!" Alpha Aaron says, turning to circle the pack boundaries.

"Hi Alic." Malak responds as we follow his father.

"How's my sister doing in Red Rivers?" I ask as we run.

"Good... I hate being away from her, though. Mom will look after her. I think she likes finally having a daughter... plus gushing over Ruby has been a welcome distraction with all that's happened." He says, looking away from me.

"Why would she be gushing over Ruby?" I ask. It seems odd. I get spending time but gushing over... unless! "I'm gonna be an uncle!?" I yell.

"Yup!... That's a big part of the reason I don't want to be away too long... you know why my dad called me?" He asks.

"Nope, he just told me we were meeting you this morning." I tell him.

"Well, I guess we're about to find out." He says as Alpha Aaron enters the pack house.

"Have a seat, boys." Alpha says, tossing us each a towel and wiping his head with one. We are panting and sweating. I'm gonna need a shower before any inside training. I already stink!

"Well, Malak, I called you because I thought you deserve to know what's going to happen with Midnight Moon now that Ti won't be succeeding me." Malak looks at the ground again. It must be extra hard on him losing his twin.

"Alic has become an Alpha." He says, and Malak's eyes shoot up to look at me. "He is the king of werewolfs."

"You're joking!" Malak says. "I knew something was off with you, but holy crap dude!" I look away. I don't know how to respond to this attention.

"Alic." Alpha says, and I look up at him. "You are an Alpha without a pack. I am an Alpha without an Heir... I need someone to take over for me, and if it can't be my blood, I can't think of someone else I'd want more than you to do it." My jaw drops, and so does Malak's.

"You want me to take Ti's place?" I gasp.

"You are the King... it makes sense you would have the largest pack... we still need to find you a Beta and Gamma, but yes, I want you... you've always been like one of my own... just don't get locked in the dog pound again! I don't think my back could take trying to carry out a full-grown wolf!" He laughs, and Malak joins in.

"It was one time and you promised!" I complain.

"I didn't use it at your graduation... hey, I never promised about an Alpha ceremony! I could have some fun!" Malak is rolling in laughter at this point, and my face is bright red.

"Please, Alpha!" I whine.

"Begging is not very becoming for a king." Alpha says, still laughing. I groan and fall back in my seat. "I'm just kidding Alic... it stays in the past... even though everyone already knows, and it would be hilarious to remind them. I will not do that to you." I sit up relieved.