11 A New Day*

"School called." Dad says over breakfast. "They want me to come in with you this morning, so we're gonna drive."

"What does that mean?" I ask.

"It means you don't have to walk to school today... be happy about it!" He says, and I roll my eyes. That is not what I was asking, and he knows it.

"We'll see when we get there." He gives a better answer.

We pile into the car, and dad drives us to school early. We go to the principal's office first thing.

"Morning, Mr. Grayson." The principal greets Dad as we enter. "I wanted to talk to you considering your family's special circumstances."

"What do you mean?" Dad asks.

"Well, I'm sure you know the kids took a placement test yesterday. Yours scored very well. I understand Ruby is a year older, yes?" He asks.

"She is." Dad responds.

"Well, they have very nearly the same score. Ruby shines in math. Alaric in history. Both are advanced in science and English. They could easily skip a few grades." He says.

"You still haven't told me why I'm here." Dad tells him.

"Well, you see, sir, we have to decide where to put them... what we think they can emotionally take and have the maturity for. So we can move them both into 7th or 8th grade it's up to you." The principal explains.

"7th!" I quickly link to dad.

"You sure, pup?" He asks. I nod at him.

"Well... how about we split them up. Ruby should be a grade ahead of Alic anyway, so let's put her in 8th and Alic in 7th." Dad says. Ruby grins at me.

"I told him to put me in 7th, so wipe that smirk off your face." I link to her.

"Whatever you say... you know I'm the favorite!" She responds.

"You mean the trouble maker... you're the one that got held back!" She shoots me an angry look.

"Yeah, well, you got put in a dog pound!" We are locked in an angry staring contest.

"You're not aloud to talk about that!"

"You call me trouble maker when you mess up they have to call in the Alpha!"

"Alic... Ruby.... kids... KIDS!" Dad broke us from our mental argument. Ruby and I stop dead.

"Yes, sir." We say, turning to him.

"I'm leaving. See you at home." He says,"Love you both."

"Bye dad love you too." We say. The principal looks at us wide-eyed. I chuckle. We must look like little robots speaking simultaneously.

"Well, here are the new schedules for you two. You can get to class." He says.

"Thank you, sir." We say taking the papers. We really need to stop speaking at the same time.

I head to my first class. It is the best feeling in the world when I see the Alpha twins in the back corner. I sit with them. Most of my classes are with Malak after the first one. He is more Ruby's friend but I like him and it's nice having a friendly face.

When I get home, I am determined to re-establish my extracurricular studies. I am not sure where to get my information... I need to know why mom went home... I've never met her family... I wonder if I can contact them.

"Hey, dad?" I ask as I enter his little office where he is working on something for the Alphas.

"What's up, buddy?" He asks, not looking up.