Bon Voyage

Kevin gently touched the flower before him, carefully studying it with his eyes before taking out a magnifying glass to get a closer look.

"Good morning Dr. Moon!" a cheery voice called out.

"Morning, Mariebelle." Kevin responded, taking notes.

"How are the flowers doing?" she asked, squatting beside him.

"Better before you entered." half joked Kevin before handing her the notepad. "You know where I'll be."

"Yessir!" she said sternly.

Kevin opened the door to his office then unlocked a door that led to a secret room. Inside were various flowers from all over the world, each in their own little environment.

"I figured you'd be in here." a voice said from behind him.

"Good timing. That flower from England isn't looking too hot, check on it for me." Kevin said, vaguely acknowledging their presence.

"You're so busy these days it's a wonder how we ever have time for each other." they said with a sigh.

"Sorry Joon, I love my work just as much as I do you." Kevin responded with a sad look.

"I know, I know. You've been passionate about this since we were tots. But I'm glad I can finally see why you're so passionate." Hyunjoon spoke, looking for anything suspicious on the England flower.

Kevin smiled happily, plenty thankful he was never forced to choose between his work and his lover. He wouldn't know what to do if that ever came to pass.

"Dr. Moon!" a shrill voice called out. "Dr. Moon!"

"I'll go." Hyunjoon said, leaving his spot to see what was up.

Kevin closed the environment before moving over to the flower he put Hyunjoon in charge of. He couldn't help but notice he was taking quite a bit of time. Was it serious? Just as he moved to get up, Hyunjoon had come back in.

"So, what is it?" asked Kevin, the suspense killing him.

"Well, it's good news." said Hyunjoon, grateful getting to see Kevin's smile. "Seems it was information meant for me. Thing is... they offered me a place abroad to study with someone else."

Kevin's smile faltered slightly, but quickly came back. Was he not good enough in their eyes?

"Don't get me wrong, I love being here with you and doing what we love, but... getting a chance to see how others work might help us in the long run. And it's not long, just half a year." Hyunjoon said, placing his hands on his shoulders.

"Half a year!?" Kevin unintentionally shouted.

"Kev..." Hyunjoon whispered as Kevin had moved his hands away. "I never said whether I accepted or not."

"Go. You want to go don't you? I'm sure it's a nice place too. I bet you're going to Ireland." Kevin said, his excitement not reaching his eyes.

"Not exactly. More like, what was it... I... Ice- Iceland?" Hyunjoon said, struggling with his words.

Kevin didn't say anything else as he went back to caring for the flower. Hyunjoon gently patted his head before leaving the room. Kevin let his shoulder's droop after the door had closed. He was truly happy for Hyunjoon getting the opportunity, he was just bummed about how long he'd be gone. He silently closed the environment as he stared at the label.

It wouldn't be that bad. Time would fly by quickly and Hyunjoon would be back in two shakes of a lamb's tail.

🌸 🌼

Hyunjoon glanced over at Kevin who kept his eyes out the window.

"About the offer..." he started, turning his attention back to the road.

"You're accepting it, right? That's good. Did they say when you're leaving?" Kevin said, rolling the window down some.

"Well actually, I still haven't given them a response." admitted Hyunjoon, stopping at a light. He looked over at Kevin, reaching out and holding his hand. "I wanted to hear your true feelings before I responded."

Kevin squeezed his hand before assuring him he was fine with it all. Sometimes work had to come first. It wasn't like they haven't been seeing each other for almost seven years, with the exception of either leaving for a week, weeks or a month. The car took off, neither saying a word.

"Do you remember our wedding reception?" Hyunjoon asked, turning onto a block.

"Which part?" Kevin questioned.

"Mmm, when we had our first dance. Do you remember what I said?" he asked, running his finger over Kevin's ring.

"'If I'm in flowerdise, I don't ever want to leave. Why? Because you're the most beautiful flower I've ever seen in my life.'. That's pretty hard to forget 'cause it's so cheesy..." Kevin said, leaning his cheek against the palm of his hand.

"But it still touches your heart, doesn't it?" Hyunjoon said with a chuckle. Kevin nodded, remembering the small rush it gave him the first time. "You are truly the most beautiful flower."

"So are you..." muttered Kevin, feeling embarrassed.

Hyunjoon turned onto their block before eventually pulling into their driveway. Kevin moved to get out the car then felt Hyunjoon hold him back.

"What is it?" he asked curiously.

"Let's sit outside for a bit. It's nice out." Hyunjoon suggested.

They sat on the grass as the wind gently blew. Hyunjoon pulled Kevin closer, sharing his body heat.

"I wonder what Iceland's like..." Hyunjoon whispered, resting his head against Kevin's.

"I'm assuming that means you've made up your mind." Kevin quipped.

"Yeah. I think I'll go." said Hyunjoon, hugging Kevin a bit tighter.

"We should figure out the time difference since I'll be ahead." Kevin commented. "Let's head inside, yeah?"

Hyunjoon followed Kevin's lead, glad to see Kevin didn't freak out like he had expected him to.