Chapter 12

Bram's P.O.V.

I woke up around 10 o'clock, which means that Axel isn't here. Thank the Lord.
My body ached from being beat up like it usually does and I got out of bed.
I took a super long shower and then got dressed.
I had some bruises on my chest and back, so I put a shirt on since I didn't want to see them.

As I walked down the stairs, I heard a bunch of clatter come from the kitchen.
I froze since there was nobody home except for me.
Axel's shoes aren't at the front door and neither are anybody else's except for mine.
I looked around for a potential weapon, and spotted Axel's baseball bat. Perfect.
I quietly walked down the stairs and grabbed it.
The clatter continued as I walked towards the kitchen.

I peered into the kitchen while hiding behind the wall and I saw nothing. That's weird.
I put the bat down and then Will popped up from behind the counter with a frying pan.
I screamed and he turned around.
"What are you yelling for, Bram?" He sighed.
"I didn't know you were home. You scared me." I said.
"I have the day off." He replied as he put the pan on the stove.
"Oh." I said.
"Why do you have Axel's bat?" Will questioned.
"I was gonna put it in his room for him, but then I got hungry so I came in here to grab a snack." I lied.

"Okay. He can put his own bat away, but thank you for offering to put it away. Is Axel upstairs then?" He asked.
"No. He's not home." I answered.
"Alright. Then I guess it's just you and I. What would you like for breakfast?" Will replied.
"Anything that you make is fine. I'm gonna go put Axel's bat back where I found it." I said.
He nodded and I put it back at the front door.

I set the table while Will made omelettes for both of us.
Once he was done, he put mine on my plate and his on his plate.
We ate mostly in silence and he said "I have to run a few errands today, do you want to come with me?"
"Sure." I replied.
In all honesty, I didn't want to but if my mom catches wind of me not spending time with Will when he asks me to, she'll ground me.
"Do you know where Axel is?" He asked.
"He went to hang out with his friends." I answered.
"Okay." He replied.
I finished eating and then changed into a pair of jeans and a hoodie, then put on the hat I took from Axel.

I waited downstairs for Will and he came to the front door.
We put our shoes on and went out to his truck.
"Is that Ax's hat?" Will questioned.
"Yeah. He gave it to me." I replied.
Will nodded and drove to the hardware store.

"I need some new wood to fix the fence and I need to paint the bathroom cabinet doors." He told me.
I nodded and we went into the hardware store.
Will got the pieces of wood he needed to fix the fence and then got a can of white paint for the bathroom cabinet doors.
"I also need to get your mom some flowers. She likes daisies, right?" He asked as he drove to the flower shop.
"Daffodils are her favourite, but daisies are a close second." I answered.
He nodded and said "Okay. I'll be right back."
He got out and went into the flower shop.

Will came back ten minutes later with a bouquet of daffodils and daisies.
"Hold these so they don't go flat on one side." He told me.
I nodded and held them the whole way home, then brought them inside first.
I put them in a vase and then went outside to help Will.

"So we're gonna take the bathroom cabinet doors off and paint them, then fix the fence while they dry.
"Use this screwdriver and take the doors off the in the downstairs bathroom." He said.
I nodded and took the screwdriver from him.

I took the bathroom doors off the cabinets and then brought them to the backyard.
Will opened the paint can and handed me a paintbrush.
He painted two while I painted the other two.

Once we finished painting, we went over to the fences and Will measured out the length of the boards. He went back over to the boards and cut them to the appropriate size.
"Bram, you take these boards, these nails and this hammer. Take off all of the boards that I put an 'X' on and replace it with a new one." Will told me.
I nodded and took the bag of nails, the boards, and the hammer.

I decided to take all the boards off first, then I put the new ones on.
This took an hour to finish and then I went back over to Will.
"Nice job, Bram. You work quicker than Axel." He said.
"Thanks." I replied.
"Can you put those boards you took off into the fire pit please?" Will asked.
I nodded and did as he said.

"So Bram, the other night when Axel walked by you, you tensed up." Will said.
"I did? I didn't even notice to be honest." I lied.
"If Axel is hurting you, tell me. He's been upset about his mom and I divorcing for a couple of years, and I don't want him to take his anger out on you." Will told me.
So now you notice?! After months of living together you finally notice?!?!
"No, everything is fine between Axel and I. At times he can be intimidating and catches me off guard." I replied.
Will nodded and nailed in the last board.
I took the boards that he took off and put them into the fire pit.
I went inside with Will and I played video games until it was time for dinner.
Will and I ate dinner in silence since we didn't have much to talk about.
When we finished dinner, I went back up to my room and watched Netflix until I fell asleep.

Axel's P.O.V.

I quietly walked into the house since all the lights were off which meant that everybody was asleep.
When I closed the door, the living room light turned on.
"Axel, come in here for a minute." I heard my dad say.
"I'm not in trouble, am I? It's 10:30. My curfew's not until 11 o'clock." I replied and checked my phone for the time.
"You're fine." He said.

He was sitting in an armchair and I sat down on the couch to listen to what he was gonna say.
"I was wondering if you could be a little less intense around Bram. I can tell he gets nervous from it. He's never been around that type of energy a lot, so he doesn't know how to process it. It would probably cause less fights if you weren't so intense." My dad told me.
"Okay. I'll try to be less intense around him." I replied.
I went upstairs to my room and smirked as I walked past his room.
I opened his door and saw that he was asleep while The Office was on his tv.
I took the top shelf of his stupid dolls and pushed them onto the floor.
Then I moved a few around on the shelves to mess with him.
I shut his door and then went to bed.