::Activities: Cooking::

Cooking Basics

In your house you'll find a kitchen in the upper-right corner. You can use this kitchen to create cooked recipes. At the beginning of the game you can use the kitchen, but you can only craft recipes that don't require a cooking utensil.

Around Spring 8 of your first year, Howard (if you live in Bluebell) or Yun (if you live in Konohana) will visit your house in the morning and give you a cooking Pot. Now you can cook dishes that require the use of the Pot as its utensil of choice. The other two cooking utensils, the Frying Pan and Seasoning Set, will appear as red-papered item requests on your town's message board at the beginning of the season. You'll see the Frying Pan around Summer 1 of your first year and the Seasoning Set on Fall 1 if you complete the Frying Pan request before it expires.

To make a cooked recipe, walk up to your kitchen and press A. You will be given two cooking options:

Cook From Recipe

If you know the recipe you want to cook, select the first option to cook the saved recipe

If you know the recipe you want to cook, select the first option to cook the saved recipe. When you select the recipe from your cookbook, the ingredients on the top screen will be on either a red or a green background:

A red background means you have to use this specific ingredient in the recipe.A green background means that this ingredient can be swapped out with another like-ingredient.

For example, if you are making Corn Cereal then you must use a Frying Pan and Corn, as these two ingredients are on a red colored background. The last ingredient, Milk, is on a green colored background. This means that the Milk can be replaced with another milk product, such as Jersey Milk or Golden Milk, and the recipe can still successfully be created.

If you aren't sure what the icon in the ingredient list represents, press the X button on your DS or 3DS to swap the top screen to the bottom screen. When the list of recipe ingredients is on the touch screen of the console you can tap on each one to learn its name.

To continue cooking with your selected recipe, press the A button to reach the pre-selected ingredient screen. If you want to change your ingredients, such as selecting one with a higher Star Rank or freshness rating, you can do so from this screen. When you've confirmed the ingredients you want to use, select the MAKE button at the bottom of the page.

Cook Without Recipe

You can learn recipes by combining ingredients together and hope they result in a recordable recipe. When you explore the villagers' houses you can find recipe hints to try in your own kitchen. The other options are to randomly experiment with mixing ingredients or to use anonline list of recipes. You can also naturally learn recipes by becoming inspired.

 You can also naturally learn recipes by becoming inspired