::Activities: Bug Collecting::

Catching Mountain Critters

All throughout the mountain area you'll find critters you can catch. These bugs and frogs can be shipped for profit, given to villagers as gifts, or used to complete message board requests. You'll find a variety of critters all year long during sunny or rainy/snowy weather. Critters will go into hiding during summer and winter storms.

There are three ranks for critters. The higher the rank, the harder it is to catch the insect. Frogs are the only critters that are all the same level of difficulty. The critters will be three different colors as they roam around the mountain area and when you catch them, the cage colors will be green (low), silver (medium), or gold (high). Critters do not have star rank or freshness rating. You can store them in your horse cart and they'll never rot or lose their profit rank.

Critters will change on the hour mark as you run through the mountain. For example, if you catch all of the bugs in an area and then leave, walk back into the area at the top of the hour to find more of them.

There are seven types of critters:

Cicadas

You will find cicadas on tree trunks. To catch these bugs, put your character in WALK mode (press the left-shoulder button on your console), walk up close to the tree, jump towards it (press B), and then press A to catch it before it flies away.

Beetles

You will find beetles on tree trunks on Summer nights. To catch these bugs, put your character in WALK mode (press the left-shoulder button on your console), walk up close to the tree, jump towards it (press B), and then press A to catch it before it flies away. If you are trying to marry Dirk then stock up on these bugs during the season to give as gifts throughout the rest of the year.

Dragonflies

These bugs are fast moving and will require you to jump a lot and press the A button over and over until you get lucky enough to catch one. The golden dragonflies are very difficult to catch!

Fireflies

Fireflies can only be found on summer evenings. They are stationary and can be caught by pressing A when their light is at their brightest. When the fireflies are dark, you can't catch them.

Frogs

These critters only appear if it is raining, but not during a summer hurricane. They are slow moving and easy to catch.

Butterflies

These are flying creatures you will have to catch by jumping (press B) and then catch by pressing A. Butterflies will not stay once you notice them. The high-rank blue ones will quickly fly away if you don't catch them fast enough.

Hoppers

This group includes grasshoppers, locusts, and crickets. You won't see them on the ground until after you run by where they were hiding. If you keep running and the bug goes off-screen, then typically it will be gone when you turn around to collect it.

Additional Information:

https://fogu.com/hm10/activities/bug_collecting.php