Chapter 20: Insufficient Information

Once again, Zulton Toeth and Altair Rhiutus sat waiting in the transmission room of an outpost on the Terran satellite. This time the delay was even longer, which, as before, set Alpha-Draconius' Rhiutus on edge.

"Why is our time inconsequential to them?" the reptilian muttered as he paced back and forth in the small, partially lit room. "You can stay. I am leaving," he added, in his native, slightly guttural tongue.

"You are doing nothing of the sort, Altair," replied Toeth telepathically. "Sit down and relax."

Rhiutus, still standing but no longer pacing, responded silently. "Why does it matter? Whatever we deem necessary will not be followed."

"Stop it and please sit down. Your lack of patience reminds me of these Terran adolescents. They will be here soon enough and they will listen to what we have to say."

The two were distracted enough that they missed the initiation of the transmission in front of them. The voice of Wyrex Kutr, Zeta Reticulon's Chief Advisor to the Overlord, caught them both by surprise. "Please do not waste our time. Speak."

Toeth had no use for either of these fools but knew he had to play along...for now. "Greetings to you and Zix Treith. Welcome," he said aloud.

"Enough with the pleasantries. Report your findings," barked Treith, the top-ranking Military official from Alpha Draconius.

Toeth was more than happy to accelerate the proceedings. "The Humans speak of a global nuclear holocaust occurring roughly nine Earth months from today. They allege temporal confirmation of this event."

"This seems unlikely, even for this illogical species," responded Kutr. "Regardless, we will not authorize resources to explore their claims. If they have done so, then they have done our work for—"

"That will not be necessary," said Rhiutus. "We have retrieved a device from the Humans, made the necessary modifications, and investigated their claim. As current conditions stand, Terra will, in fact, be irradiated."

Kutr and Treith glanced at each other. After a moment Treith spoke, "Are you both planning something we should be aware of?"

"No," responded Toeth. "Nothing has changed since we last communicated. We have waited an Earth century for this opportunity. We would prefer to maintain as much of the asset as possible. The only biota we want to remove is the dominant species."

Treith responded, "This is one of the possible outcomes we accounted for. If the Humans decide to eradicate themselves, that is an acceptable outcome. It keeps the Council at bay, and it allows us to restart exactly as we desire within a few dozen solar cycles."

Irritated, Toeth looked away from the remote viewer and shook his head ever so slightly. "We have only made the single Jump forward. In time, we will get complete answers. The source of the devastation cannot be our doing. I also do not think the Humans, despite their limited intellect, have it in them to annihilate the only world they can survive on."

"Are you suggesting no one is to blame?" Treith asked sarcastically.

"No," replied Toeth. "I am merely stating that we do not have enough information to make any meaningful conclusions. That, however, will soon change."

"Given the circumstances," Kutr interjected, "logic dictates the Terrans are to blame. Going forward, I strongly suggest that you do not waste any more of your or our time on such matters."

With that, the transmission abruptly ended, leaving both Toeth and Rhiutus standing in semi-darkness.

=======================================================

Serial releases of the SEKTOR V Trilogy will continue to be posted here and on my dedicated website every Friday!

https://s3ktorv.wixsite.com/website

Also, follow me here on Wattpad and Twitter @SEKTOR_V for future releases and other updates!

e-mail: S3KTORV@gmail.com

If you enjoyed this serial release please consider giving it a vote. :)