Chapter 23: A Change in Plans

Once again, Zultan Toeth was preparing to communicate with his direct supervisor from Zeta Reticulon. This time, however, he was not on the lunar base and his colleague from Alpha Draconius was not by his side. He stood a few meters in front of the remote viewer, anticipating the connection to materialize momentarily. As the holographic image of Wyrex Kutr appeared, Toeth exhaled deeply.

"Toeth, the frequency of your emergency communiqués grows tiresome. I was in consultation with the Overlord. He was not pleased when I left him. For your sake, this better be worth my time."

"Yes, I understand," Toeth responded curtly. "However, the urgency of the matter will become quite clear."

"Well then make it clear. I do not have all day."

Toeth had planned to go into detail about what had happened, how it occurred, and what Terran faction might be behind the attacks. However, if the point was what Kutr wanted, then that would be what he would give him.

"We have lost our Terran satellite facility, 94 percent of our underwater bases, and our entire land-based research center on the northern continent is no more."

Kutr blankly stared back at him for several seconds. "What of the Hybrid stock?" he finally asked.

"Completely decimated," responded Toeth.

"Do not toy with me, Toeth. What are the details involved?"

Toeth was happy his true thoughts could not betray him. "The attack had to originate from covert military sources who have been aware of our existence for several earth decades. Those responsible are small in number so finding out who they are will not be a difficult task. Our forces can weed out the guilty faction—"

"No," said Kutr.

"With all due respect, a response is necessary, otherwise—"

"I did not say a response would not be forthcoming, Toeth. It will come and it will be severe. We now know who is responsible for the nuclear devastation after all."

"I do not believe that is our best path forward."

Kutr exhaled deeply and closed his eyes for a few seconds before replying. "It is not your place to come to such conclusions." He glared at Toeth. "I will advise the Overlord once I possess all of the facts. I will be expecting a detailed account of every loss we have incurred at the hands of these filthy primates." Kutr abruptly stood up and left the viewfinder of the communication device without a word. After several seconds, Kutr returned and sat down.

Despite the relatively low-definition transmission in front of him, Toeth was still able to sense Kutr's elevated emotional state.

"Understood," Toeth said. "However, before speaking with his Supremacy, I would like to discuss an alternative pathway with you."

"Are you going to waste oxygen and suggest biological weaponry yet again?"

"In a manner of speaking, yes."

"Pathogens are not viable," Kutr said. "Thanks to your earlier exploits, the recent Terran attacks intimate Human-initiated aggression. Given that, it would not be illogical for nuclear escalation to follow. As such, if we carefully use their fissionable material against them, we can keep our hands clean. It makes little sense to sully them now with an obvious extraterrestrial biological agent."

Toeth knew that Kutr was not going to like what he was going to hear next. However, Toeth also knew that what he would say would likely sway Senior leadership to see things his way.