✯ chapter V

ELEANORA

ELEANORA

isolation. i stayed in my room for four days after mine and oliver's last conversation. where everything i'd built up, the trust and the potential love had just disappeared over stupid words that had spoke carelessly. elio was staying in the american's room, my father's decision after he was scolded for destroying all my hard work, the pages and the countless tears that has gone into every word had gone.

i heard every laugh and conversation that my twin and my love shared, i listened with envy at the fact that with every second that passed they became closer and closer, be that emotionally and physically. i wanted to storm into the room and untangle them from each other, rip my brother from him and do everything in my power to claim oliver as my own.

saturday was the first day i joined everyone for breakfast, mafalda greeted me with a hug like usual and an espresso. i sat down silently and proceeded to eat my egg that had already been cracked for me. elio shot me a glance that would probably have killed me if it was a bullet and oliver acted as if i wasn't present at the table. which in reality is what i asked him to do.

"eleanora, what are you going to do today?" mamma asked, trying to involve me in the conversation, i shrugged her off. "why don't you go down to the sea with oliver and elio?"

"as much as i would like to spend time with my sister, i'm going out with martiza today" he didn't dare look at me as if he was repulsed by me.

   "we can still go if you'd want?" oliver offered as he ate his third egg and flashing me a smile, "I have no work today, am i right prof?"

   "nope, not today" my dad smiled at oliver as if he was the best thing to come out of america, "i'll get mafalda to pack the basket and you two enjoy yourselves"

   after breakfast i got changed into my swimming costume and put on the shirt that oliver had lent me the other day, i'm not sure why. maybe it was to show elio who was in the lead but i wasn't even sure if i was still partaking in the race or whether Elio had already passed the finish line.

   "eleanora, qui take the basket. peach juice for olive and blueberries for voi" she kissed my cheek and pushed the basket towards me.

   "mafalda, his name is oliver" i shook my head and laughed at her silly nickname.

   "no she was right the first time, later mafalda!" oliver called as he swept me out of the kitchen and out towards the bikes, "wearing my shirt i see?"

   "i'll tell the doctor that your eyes are working the next time i see them" he groaned and pushed me against the wall, "whoa buddy, i don't think so"

   "you do confuse me elea, one minute you want me and the next you're pushing me away and i really don't know where i stand with you" he looked sad as my eyes caught his own as we shared a glance that i wish i could savour forever. a glance of desperation and dare i say it, love. "what are you scared of?"

   "getting hurt again" i felt the tears swell in my eyes, "i don't want to be hurt again"