1. The Heart of The King

"The Queen! The Queen of Erebor!"

The boy heard the shouts from the crowd behind him and quickly turned to see. He had just arrived yesterday and could not believe he was going to see the Queen on his first day in Erebor, her beauty was much talked about back home in the Iron Hills. He looked up hopefully at his uncle, who smiled at him. "Go on then, let us have a look."

Quickly he crossed to where the crowd was gathering, pushing through them and straining to see. An older Dwarf with an eyepatch stepped aside for him so he could take a place next to him at the front of the crowd. He looked back for his uncle and saw him behind the old Dwarf. The boy turned back to the street, following the gazes of the others. Then he saw the Queen walking towards the Hall of Kings, her handmaidens on either side carrying parcels and rolls of fabrics. She was indeed very beautiful. Flawless white skin and sparkling green eyes, long dark hair reaching almost to her knees, she had no beard but wore her sideburns long with tiny jeweled beads. She was wearing a red silk dress that sparkled with gems, and beautiful rings and jewelry. As she walked she looked side to side at the onlookers, smiling and nodding as she passed. After she had gone by the boy turned back towards his uncle, but the old Dwarf put a hand on his shoulder.

"You do not want to leave now, laddie," he said. "You will miss the real show." The boy looked at him curiously, what could be better than seeing the Queen?

"If you wait a bit you will see the woman who has the King's heart."

The boy was astonished. "The King has two wives?"

"This is not his wife, though I do not think that was his choice," the old Dwarf said with a smile. "She is a warrior from a far country, saved his life at the Battle of the Five Armies, and mine too as it happens. There is none fairer in Middle Earth, I wager. Not even in the realms of the Elven folk." He nodded over the boy's shoulder. "There she is, the King's Woman."

The boy turned, he heard shouts of "The King! Hail the King!" He saw King Thorin walking towards him, he recognised him from the time he had visited the Iron Hills. But it was the woman at his side that made him stare, she was a striking figure indeed. Of the race of Men, tall and golden-haired, icy blue eyes and finely sculpted features. She wore her hair in Dwarvish style and was dressed like a traveller in black clothes that looked like they had seen much wear. Leather tunic, heavy canvas coat, soft leather breeches tucked into high riding boots. The boy could see the flash of a silver chain around her neck, that and the silver beads in her hair were the only ornaments she wore. She had a sword slung over her back and he counted three knives. The King and this striking woman were talking as they walked, they seemed to be sharing some kind of secret joke. He saw the King poke her in the side and she laughed, showing even white teeth. She caught the King's hand and let it go reluctantly. The affection between them was plain for all to see. As they passed by the boy saw the tall woman look at the old Dwarf next to him, she nodded at him, a slight smile on her lips. The old Dwarf smiled back at her and bowed as she passed. The boy watched the King and his woman walk away, he almost wanted to run to where he could see her pass by again. He looked up at the one-eyed Dwarf.

"Who is she?"

"That is Kaylea Wolf, laddie," he looked down at him with a wink. "She will be Queen of Erebor one day, mark my words."