06 - The Missing Bow

LATER THAT DAY, Saskia thought she'd gone completely mental, when during last period, she actually saw Eros sitting inside their classroom

He interacted with the class in the most painfully shy way possible, looking as though it was the most normal thing he did in the world, that she might as well whack her head on her desk for being the only one who found it completely off.

She did not dare get in his line of vision, ducking her head multiple times when he glanced her way. In a word, it was mind-boggling, how he could have different personalities in the span of hours. By the end of class, it dawned on her that the guy might actually be mentally challenged.

And yet, it still didn't explain his bizarre, magical... capabilities.

"Eros... Eros," Saskia chanted as she paced in her room that night. "There's only one Eros, who shoots people's hearts that I've heard of in my classes." She paused, and then shook her head, laughing skeptically. "No, he couldn't possibly be....? Or... or is he?"

She stopped and stared at the wall, and after a few seconds, she found herself bumping her forehead on it, repeatedly.

"Oh, god. What is wrong with me? It's a myth!" she said. "Am I actually serious in thinking he exists—the god of love?" She groaned in frustration; she sounded utterly ridiculous. "But he extracts people in their human form—whatever that is—plays with memories, and freezes nurses in clinics!" she ranted, and then resumed to banging her head on the wall. "Oh, my god. What is happening to me? Have I lost it?"

"Well, this is an interesting monologue... and interesting relationship with the wall."

She turned to see her brother leaning on her door, amused.

Saskia's face morphed into apocalyptic doom. "Holy crap, Marc—"

"Whoa. Did you just... swear?" Marcus straightened up, blinking at her.

"—I've gone totally, completely nuts!"

"Don't I know it?" Her brother grinned. "What's the matter with you, sis?"

"It's that Eros guy. I just... I can't be—"

"Holy shit, you didn't." Marcus' eyes widened. "Please tell me you didn't ask the poor guy to be your prom date, and then you whacked him on the head when he said no."

"What? No!" she cried.

"What then?" He squinted at her. "He asked you out? Is that why you hit him?"

She pursed her lips. "Do you want me to hit your head next?"

"Whoa, whoa. Easy," he said. "Why are you suddenly being violent?"

"Because you're spewing out nonsense!"

"Okay. Chill." He chuckled. "So, tell me, what's all this nutsy stuff about Eros? He's weird but I admit, not very hard on the eyes."