12 - Silent Sidekick

MR

MR. ALDRICH WAS talking about the Derivatives of Sine and Cosine today, and normally, Saskia would've been paying close attention and hang on to every word he said—she wasn't really very good at anything Math, but she tried to compensate it with taking notes, listening raptly, and studying real hard for it.

But today was different. Today, she hardly even wrote a word after he told the class of the topic, and she had since been staring at her teacher without truly seeing him. Her mind was in another place, reliving another day. This place may or may not be a coffee house, and she may or may not have made a pathetic human being out of herself in there, and this may or may not have occurred a whole three days ago.

After crying shamelessly in Potions café that day, Saskia had managed to calm herself with a hot cup of tea, courtesy of the god of love, her silent spectator. There still was a shade of awkwardness hanging in the air as she sipped her tea, with both occupants of table 14 refusing to neither admit nor explain their previous actions, but when she had consumed all the sweet and bitter contents of the cup, it seemed Eros had a lot of surprises in store for the day.

"Are you done flooding this place?" he'd asked, and Saskia would've found this really mean had she not remembered the kind gesture she received from him earlier.

Instead, she'd just sniffled and nodded at him.

"Then let's go."

He stood up and was already heading for the door before she could even open her mouth to ask. She hurriedly followed him outside.

"Go where?" she asked, trying to catch up with his long strides.

"I still have one arrow to shoot before the day ends," he said curtly.

"Are you... " She stopped in her tracks, swallowing hard, before she continued softly, "Are you going to break people apart again?"

"No," he said. "If I were, I wouldn't even think of bringing you along. I have no interest in seeing you wail like a child inside another public place."

Despite the gruff tone, Saskia felt herself smile. "But I thought you said you were going to let me see it just once?"

She really should've shut up and not remind him of that for the sake of her quest for information, but she couldn't help it. And when his eyes narrowed at her, she had to bite the inside of her cheek to stop smiling wide. It was pretty fun to watch the myth riled up.

"Well, if you don't want to do it anymore, then don't. I am not forcing you to do anything," he said brusquely, giving her an even stare.

"Of course, you're not forcing me to do anything." She barely could contain her smile any longer, which had deepened his scowl. "And who said I don't want to do it anymore? You didn't hear it from me."

She had found herself entering a park with him not long after that, and true to his word, it wasn't a painful experience—it was young love.

The two targets, who must've been no older than fourteen, were talking happily on the swing set, and their laughter had been a welcome sound in Saskia's ears for the day. She had crept behind the slide as the god of love summoned his bow out of thin air—Saskia was secretly chanting Accio bow! in her mind as he did this, just to entertain herself a bit— same for when he lifted his other hand in the air for the arrow to appear. But this time, it was two silver arrows.