n i n t h

North Kingsley, for the first time in years, was flustered. Staring down at his lap, he hastily crumpled the strip of paper into a tight ball in his hand as three trays dropped themselves before him. Looking up at his friends, North struggled to keep his face neutral when his sister narrowed her eyes at him in suspicion.

"Where's the fire?" Diana asked, cocking her head. Beside her a slim boy with thick black hair smirked, nudging her shoulder.

"Clearly on North's face," He chimed in, pleased with himself.

"Lay off him, Terry," Sara mumbled as she pulled her hair back and into a tight ponytail, claiming the seat beside North.

"It's nothing. Just a pop quiz score," North bluffed, pulling together enough brain cells to shove the letter from Duck into his backpack before any of them demanded a look.

"Boo, no talk about grades. I'm still recovering from my Econ test," Terry grumbled, going so far as to cover his ears. Diana barely missed getting an elbow to the face, lips pursed in disdain as she turned her attention back to her food while Terry continued on. "Let's talk about sports."

This time Sara groaned, shaking her head. "You only ever want to talk about sports."

"That's because I have a big game at next month, and you all need to come and support me since my parents will be out of town on the night. You'll be rewarded handsomely for turning up, don't worry. There'll be a party at mine straight after."

Diana arched a brow at Terry. "Do we look like the partying type? I think the last time North attended a public gathering was during assembly."

"Hey," North chided.

"Would you rather a coupon to Fro-Yo Land as compensation for supporting your friend?" Terry countered, serious enough that North took pity on him.

"We'll come," He gave in and Terry reached across the table to playfully joist his shoulder in response. "Though you can't yell at us if we fall asleep. Watching you splash around for an hour gets really repetitive."

Sara snorted behind a bite of her toasted sandwich at his words. "The speedos do help though."

Terry smirked at that kicking his feet up on the edge of the cafeteria table. "Then it's settled. If you guys stick around until we're done changing you can catch a ride with us in the van, I convinced Franklin to drive us."

"I should be able to swing the car," Sara said, brushing off the offer. "Plus it'd be better if we had our own ride, and North can play Designated Driver."

"Speaking of North doing our bidding, mind grabbing me another soda from the machine in the hallway? I'll owe you one," Diana asked, jingling her empty can as she turned her pout full force on her twin brother who frowned back.

Making a show of looking under the table, North crossed his arms then stared her down. "What's wrong with your legs?"

Diana's lips parted as she threw her brother an exacerbated look. "Can't you just do one nice thing for me? Just this once?"

"While you're there grab me a Sprite too," Terry added as North made to push away from the table.

"Don't push it." He warned as Diana preened at him humoring her request. Checking his card was in his pocket, North walked off, somewhat grateful to get a moment to himself.

As predicted there was a line awaiting him, a common staple of the fourth floor. Housing the only machine authorized to sell energy drinks meant a steady supply of customers at all moments in between classes. Resting against the wall, North replayed Duck's words over in his head as the line slowly slugged forward.