f o u r t e e n t h

A blank post-it note nestled inside a black A4 sheet awaited North the following afternoon. He tried not to feel underwhelmed by the empty paper, noticing the few words denting through the post-it note. Peeling it free, North turned it over in his hand, eyes roaming the two sentences written for him.

You revert back to short and choppy sentences when you get nervous.

Vending machine is busted... Try the one on the third floor.

Impulsively North's hand went for his phone, scrolling through his camera roll to find his latest letters snapshot. Duck wasn't wrong, certain parts were definitely choppy and North didn't let his thoughts linger on why. The A4 paper's corners dug into his thigh as he jogged up the stairs to the third floor, shouldering his way into the boy's bathroom.

There, held in place by the shut window, sat two bright Hello Kitty post-it notes.

Ferris,

Thanks for the words of encouragement earlier about Mr. Doubtful, I'll keep them in mind when I finally stop to smell the roses. Sorry for the rushed response, I'm a little weighed down by assignments and exam prep. Stanford is a bitch to get into and I'll have to rely on working overtime to afford a carrier pigeon in this economy.

Cameron (Apparently).

North smiled down at the message, secretly pleased his late-night movie watching paid off. Stuffing the note into his pocket he braved himself for the next one, words all but mashed together in Duck's attempt to fit them on both sides of the paper.

Compass Points You Home,

Thought of the day: I could definitely take a big old snooze in this bathroom. The lights are just soft enough not to burn my eyelids and if I plugged my headphones to block out the sounds of any unwanted bodily functions, I could pull off a full eight hours. If security doesn't wake me up first, that is.

With Fatigue,

Duck-o-leptic Tendencies.

P.S. Forgot what a bitch these were to write on before I did this.

P.P.S. It took me longer than I wanted to admit to find a song about Compass' to make that reference. Appreciate my effort during this time of distress.