t w e n t y f i f t h

Wide blue eyes were the last thing North expected to see after wrenching Terry's door open. Humming to herself, Sara smiled up at North as she shoved an open can of Sprite into his chest.

"Any reason you ran up here like a bat out of hell?" She asked, taking a slow sip through her metal straw. The cup in her hand was near empty and North focused on it as he pulled his thoughts back together.

"You seen Charlie?" He asked, because if anyone knew Terry's friends, it would be Sara.

Furrowing her brow the red-head checked over her shoulder for a moment, eyes roaming the hallway. "I think I overheard someone say he was taking Kendra home, she didn't look so great last I saw her."

"When did you hear that?" North asked and Sara squinted for a moment.

"Like a minute before you opened the door. I was about to knock and check if you were okay," She explained, expression softening as she rested a hand on North's arm. "Are you okay?"

Brushing her off, North threw his friend what he hoped was a passing smile.

"I'm great. I just need to go. Like now. Thanks, Sara." Backing away North made it halfway down the stairs before turning on his heel, realizing he had no idea where he was going. "Where's Charlie's car?"

"Parked around the corner. It's a golden Volkswagen, can't miss it," She called back, expression confused as she watched the blond all but sprint to the front door. "Weird."

The pavement warm and hard under his feet, North ran as fast as he could down the driveway and onto the main road. Streetlights flickered above him like check-points, guiding him towards his target, silent fans that cheered him on with every exhilarated step. He raised a fist in the air as he rounded the corner only to catch sight of the rear taillights of a golden Volkswagen drifting away onto the road and quickly out of view. North stopped running, elbows dropping to his knees as he regained his breath. Closing his eyes, he shook his head.

He missed his chance.

"Monday," he wheezed to himself, wiping his forehead with the back of his hand.

There was still Monday.